Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Heroes of the red star - Night vision sights

Erik Winroth

Can anybody explain why the only Soviet vehicle with night vision sights in the game is the Mi-24.
If my memory is not totally of they had active IR sights in their tanks least during the 1960th.

The Soviet night equipment might not have been as good as there western counterparts, but it must be much better than having nothing.

Rallye72

I think the rules are referring to thermal sights not IR or image intensifiers (I2) but yes there should be a night firing capability even for vehicles that don't have dedicated night sights.

All T-72 series had IR.
The 64 series should have IR.
The T-80 series (primarily T-80B given the time period) - depending on version used IR and image intensification (I2). Only in the very late 80's with the T-80U which is outside the scope of the game do you see a hint of thermal capability (Agava, later Buran) but it was very expensive and not widely utilized.

The other method both they, and we, utilized was shooting at night under illumination. You can shoot targets at night thru a day sight but it does require practice.

Erik Winroth

I agree with you that it looks like the rules cover thermal sights. It would be interesting to know why other night equipment was not addressed. I looked through the scenario book and did not find a single scenario that took place during the night ... that might be the explanation.