Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Estab won't compile

Tainster

I have an Estab that won't compile from Estab Editor and if I try to compile it using Estab Manager it crashed the programme. This is not the only Estab file that causes problems. The same thing happens on 2 computers both of which have decent specifications. Is there something I’m missing?

Last edited:

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
I have an Estab that won't compile from Estab Editor and if I try to compile it using Estab Manager it crashed the programme. This is not the only Estab file that causes problems. The same thing happens on 2 computers both of which have decent specifications. Is there something I’m missing?
Could you please attach the problematic Estab to this post?

Tainster

I've attached the file as requested. I had to zip it as it refused to upload with the "xml" extension. Thanks for looking at it.

Attachments

• HuskyEstab.zip
    202.9 KB · Views: 1

Tainster

Please attach also HuskyEstab_Images (zipped) folder.
I need all your assets to reproduce the issue (estab fails to export without any of the images).
Attached as requested

Attachments

• HuskyEstab_Images.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 4

Tainster

Let me know if these work for you.
It seems to be fine but I can't make a scenario with it. When I run it it crashes the programme. I've attached the files. Would you mind having another look at it. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Ponte Grande.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 3

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
You were missing some insignia pictures for your sides/nations/services. I've added some default ones, be no surprised to see German cross for Allies, you can change it anytime.
Also your Italian "Rifle Inf Coy" unit had no weapons at all. Not sure if this one is a showstopper, but as a rule of thumb you should avoid having units with less than 10-20 weapons of any kind, as they could potentially cause problems.

Attachments

• HuskyEstab.zip
    236.5 KB · Views: 4

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
PS Overall your XML was somehow quite badly corrupted, lot of mandatory XML nodes were missing. Not sure how could it end up in such a sorry state, unless you've modified it manually (which I believe is not the case, isn't it?) If the problem reappear, let me know but try to remember what were your actions before it happened (again) and what might have caused this kind of corruption.

Tainster

That's great, thank you so much for your help. I'm now having a problem adding a quantity when adding a weapon to a unit. The attached imageQuantity.png shows the newly added Beretta but I'm unable to change the quantity.

Tainster

Thanks very much. I'm very new to game building and what seems to be intuitive doesn't necessarily work out that way. I've looked in the manual several times but this isn't mentioned....unless I missed it!

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
Thanks very much. I'm very new to game building and what seems to be intuitive doesn't necessarily work out that way. I've looked in the manual several times but this isn't mentioned....unless I missed it!

No problem, only a few people are actually using these editors, and most of those are already used to all the bugs and deficiencies, so I'm afraid this is not something explained/documented well. Feel free to ask.

Tainster

What other editors are available. It tried to edit it with excel but had a resounding failure!

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
What other editors are available. It tried to edit it with excel but had a resounding failure!
I'd recommend to stick to EstabEditor. Using some external tools requires you to know exactly what you're doing. It's easy to break XML but not that easy to repair then. Why have you opted to use Excel, btw? Did it provide any functionality you missed in standard EstabEditor?

Tainster

Basically because I knew that I could open xml files with Excel. It was of no help at all. I've just a look at a copy of a working xml file using Notepad ++ and, to be frank, it looks a bit beyond me.