Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Location, LOS and FOs

Chertiozhnik

Overloon 2.jpg
This is from Westwall - Ordeal at Overloon 2.
I am fairly confident that 1 Suffold Bn with their standard Defend orders are actually covering the treeline at their front, the counter position being only indicative.
With the new artillery and FO rules coming up, how can I tell whether they have Overloon, bottom right, actually under observation?
I have seen previous requests for some kind of LOS overlay, but I don't see anything in the current version that would help identify which areas of the map the 1Bn have covered for target spotting.

View attachment 9299
This is from Westwall - Ordeal at Overloon 2.
I am fairly confident that 1 Suffold Bn with their standard Defend orders are actually covering the treeline at their front, the counter position being only indicative.
With the new artillery and FO rules coming up, how can I tell whether they have Overloon, bottom right, actually under observation?
I have seen previous requests for some kind of LOS overlay, but I don't see anything in the current version that would help identify which areas of the map the 1Bn have covered for target spotting.
Have you used the LOS area tool?

Chertiozhnik

Yes, but from where? I can't tell where the troops are (I assume not exactly along the edge of the yellow deployment box) or what they can see and report to an FO. I tried putting the LOS Area on Overloon itself and can see which bits of the treeline are visible, but, same problem, I don't know that I have troops at that point.
Some kind of map overlay "spotted by my FOs" would be helpful but I can see the complications.

Yes, but from where? I can't tell where the troops are (I assume not exactly along the edge of the yellow deployment box) or what they can see and report to an FO. I tried putting the LOS Area on Overloon itself and can see which bits of the treeline are visible, but, same problem, I don't know that I have troops at that point.
Some kind of map overlay "spotted by my FOs" would be helpful but I can see the complications.
There are no specific on map units designated as FOs.

Artillery is guided by friendly unit visibility into the target area. The change that was made took into account variables in accuracy based on the distance of the shots and the time it takes for a spotting unit to notify the firing unit to change it's range and azimuth and the firing unit to adjust to the new information.

It's reflected in the timing of the fire and dispersion of the hits around the on map target.