Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Piper

Jeff Lewis

Heroes of the Mediterranean: Mare Nostrum has a new SMC, a British Piper.

Piper.jpg

He's a dynamic but vulnerable rally asset. Here's how he operates:

The British Piper has a Leadership Modifier (LM) just like a Leader, but this rating can only be used to rally Shaken MMCs or SMCs. A Piper can attempt to rally all Leg units in its hex and ONE Leg unit in any ONE adjacent hex, but if he does, his hex—but NOT the adjacent hex, if it rallied a unit in an adjacent hex—is Spotted at the start of the Ops Phase. Pipers cannot use Double-Time movement, perform spotting attempts, and are not Melee-eligible units. A just-rallied Piper can attempt to rally other units as per the above rules. Pipers can Self-Rally.

The Piper is very good at rallying units, with his modifier of 2, but he brings attention to his hex, spotting it for that turn at the onset of the Ops Phase. He's also slow, but can establish a solid rallying location behind the action for Shaken units to fall back to.

Hoots doots that's a novel SMC there. Cool addition to the game. Looks like the bonus affects shaken leaders too ("all leg units") very helpful...nice bit of nationalistic pride I suppose :).

Why does he have such a slow movement allowance (3)? Is it a scotch (single malt I would think) related thing?

Stefano G.

Likable news (i'll look for a pipes sound in order to play it during Piper attempt - as suggested by Game Manual, i am used to play Airstrike sound when it appears in the mapboard too :D )...a modifier of "2" for rally attempt is very powerful! (it can probably resuscitate all Braveheart scottish units :happy: )

...just one question:
from 3.0 Rally Phase "...Each unit can only attempt to rally once per RP" ...so, can or can not Piper attempt to rally shaken units that have just attempted, but failed, one recover check?
e.g.: one shaken British unit, with a GO Leader and a GO Piper in same hex, attempt to recover using Leader presence; the attempt fails; can now, same shaken unit, benefits of Piper skill to attempt rally a second time?

(Till now, Medic counter is the only unit that can try to to flip a Shaken Squad to its GO side, even if they have failed first time, as it does not constitute a rally attempt.)

Thank you...and i can not wait to admire other Commonwealth counters :cool:

Last edited:

Renzo Bulli

- "All right, boys, everything's going according to plan. Stand by to move! Millin, Blue Bonnet!"
(...)
- "What in God's name?!"
- "Oh, my friends. What a day! What a day! Welcome to France. Welcome to Colleville!"
(...)
- "Perhaps next time. We have a previous engagement: the war! Mustn't lose that champagne! All right, men, fall in! Millin, Blue Bonnet!"
- "Goodbye. Thank you, boys! Thank you! Vive la France! Vive les Alliés!"
- "If you ask me, Flanagan... ...there's a lot of very peculiar blokes on this beach!"

(...)

- "What's the matter?"
- "Listen. I thought I heard bagpipes."
- "Don't be daft!"
- "I told you I heard bagpipes! It's the reinforcements!"
- "AAAAAHAHAH!!! YEAH!!!"
- "It's Lovat!
(...)
- "In that case we won't wait. We'd better get moving. All right, we're going across. Millin!"
- "Sir?"
- "Black Bear, sir!"
- "All right, come on. Everybody up! On your feet!"
- "There he goes. He's at it again. Ever hear such a bleeding racket in all your life?"
- "Yeah, it takes an Irishman to play the pipes!"
- "Hold until relieved. Hold until relieved."

Jeff Lewis

Why does he have such a slow movement allowance (3)? Is it a scotch (single malt I would think) related thing?

His MF is 3 (slow) because he's carrying (and playing) bagpipes. Perhaps a wee dram of 12-year-old Highland Single Malt may be a factor.

Jeff Lewis

)...a modifier of "2" for rally attempt is very powerful!

Yes, a 2 LM is powerful. But the sound of pipes wailing can stir the soul. You need that to get across a minefield in the open desert while under an arty barrage. Renzo Bulli's post captures the spirit.

Jeff Lewis

...just one question:
from 3.0 Rally Phase "...Each unit can only attempt to rally once per RP" ...so, can or can not Piper attempt to rally shaken units that have just attempted, but failed, one recover check?
e.g.: one shaken British unit, with a GO Leader and a GO Piper in same hex, attempt to recover using Leader presence; the attempt fails; can now, same shaken unit, benefits of Piper skill to attempt rally a second time?

An exception will be made in the rules for the Piper. Tactically, though, you'll learn that the Piper can't keep up with the pace of an advance and becomes more of a rally point. In testing it's been rare that the Piper and a Leader were in the same hex unless it was deliberate, in order to rally the Leader.

Note: the Piper's Shaken Morale is 6.

Pete Maidhof

I like the idea of the Piper. Perhaps they should have a chance to appear in UK scenarios set in Normandy too.

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Pete,

Jeff mentioned the use of the Piper in Normany scenarios when he first presented the idea of a Piper to me for MN. Jeff comes up with many great ideas.

Mark Brownell

Really cool idea! Any idea when Mare Nostrum will be available? I played the bass drum in a pipe band years ago, maybe we need a drummer also. When combined, in the same hex, their ability would increase????? Very nice touch - keep up the great ideas!

darcone

Really cool idea! Any idea when Mare Nostrum will be available? I played the bass drum in a pipe band years ago, maybe we need a drummer also. When combined, in the same hex, their ability would increase????? Very nice touch - keep up the great ideas!

Two targets for the price of one!