Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Future NaW products thread

Robert Ellis

My view is that the system is flexible and robust enough to be used for any any period from the Spanish Civil War to Korea and French Indo China.

Its a great system and deserve to thrive.

Squad Leader

Honestly, Robert. I'd love to take this to the Pacific, and might well do that, but think of the scales on Tarawa. It would take some tweaking.

Robert Ellis

Sorry Mark, what I meant was that I think the system would be happy in any period from 1936 - 1954 ish. Although the Pacific is interesting, my own preference would be to concentrate on the war in Europe and Russia, with some additional stuff for Sicily / Italy. Having said that, I would certainly buy a game that depicted the Marines in the Pacific as well.

My main point is that I believe the system itself is good enough to adapt to almost any theatre (IMHO).

As an 'extreme' I'd be overjoyed to see a game based around Dien Bien Phu ;-))

enpi

hi,
I am just playing throught the WSR scenarios. Its a great game, the more I play the better it gets. I would love to see more artillery and support weapons (like flame throwers, 88mm flak, 120mm mortar or maybe even a 7.5cm Leichtgeschütz etc. ) in future installments.

theater of war?
-I would like to have a large Stalingrad box with epic urban/sewer scenarios - enemy at the gates etc :)
-or a "What if..." Box with Operation See-Lion or other alternative history scenarios
-a "Commando-box" dedicated to special forces operations in WW2

other points
-larger, more comfortable box - the WSR box is really too small. I barely holds the basic game material and definately not the addons.
-better structured rulebook with more examples. (and non-glossy paper)
-maps which dont warp
-larger scenarios - epic size!
-index

please dont change
-the counters - these are super except the wreck and the improved position counter which look both well...a little bit cheesy.

All in all, I really like WSR, I am playing it like mad ATM and I cannot wait to get the hands on Desert Heat. So if my points above have been already adressed in Desert Heat, then I am sorry for my somewhat critical post and please just ignore it.

PS: have you ever thought of spicing the game up with "action cards" instead of fatepoints? Eg each side has a deck of special effect cards and can draw some cards at the beginning of the scenario...

Robert Ellis

I also would like to see more units and, better still, more maps with a few more features that could be used as scenario objectives, such as airfields and larger urban area's.

I guess much will depend on future expansions, what topics they cover and what period. A vision for me would be that the system takes a similar shape to ASL or Panzer Grenadier, since I prefer the NaW system to either of those.
Both of those systems do boast a large number of varied maps, units and a zillion scenarios.

If the system takes off, then it would be nice to envisage small Cobra type expansions but with the addition of a map that is compatible with other in the series. It would also be interesting to see much larger scenarios that use more than 3 maps for those of us that like larger / longer battles.

Without doubt, the system is robust enough to be capable of that, and it deserves to see a lot more additions.

NaW Rules OK!

Squad Leader

If you like it now, you'll love it when Stalin's Triumph hits your table. Nice rule tweaks there. Then again, if it doesn't garner additional orders it might never hit a table.

Mark

Jay Townsend

The future of NaW looks very good if you guys pre-order Stalin's Triumph to make its cut-off numbers. Stalin's Triumph will have more unit types as there are only two nations in this game unlike WSR which has three nations and Desert Heat with five nations, even Operation Cobra has five nations. So Stalin's Triumph will have lots of formations only focusing on Germans and Soviet units.

Please no action cards, what I like about NaW and WaW is no cards in this system.

I did have to buy an extra box to hold all the WSR, LOF, OC, AB and other supplement materials.

Really what will make or break the Nations at War series for me is an Eastern Front game like ST. If Stalin's Triumph doesn't make it, the series kind of dies for me. Need that 1943 Eastern Front game called Stalin's Triumph. Kursk or bust baby!

enpi

no problem, Mark. I deleted it because the differences are not that big at the second glance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Maybe you have heard it on another place too, but the use of an easier readable font and clearer contrast of colors would be a big plus in future games of the series, especially because the counters have plenty of game stats directly on them. My eyes are not that strong anymore so several of the numbers/unit designations of NaW are difficult to read.