Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Stealth Movement Capable Units

Bryan Anthony

Hello,

I have a question concerning stealth capable units (SCU) and it may be a stupid question or one that has already been asked and answered. If so, I apologize. The question is: Units with stealth capabilities that are sneaking up to an enemy unit must have a spotting roll made for the enemy unit to attack them. What happens if an enemy unit moves adjacent to a SCU? Is the stealth ability assumed to be "on" all of the time? When I read the rules it reads as if the stealth only applies when they are moving to close upon the enemy not when an enemy units moves to attack the SCU. I know it is probably splitting hairs but it can have an effect on game play. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Bryan

Keith T

To me they only get the Stealth capability if they are moving, not when they are being approached by an enemy unit. I hope someone else chimes in and i do not think this is a stupid question.

Keith T

Last edited:

Qwirz

Stealth units are spotted only if they Fire or Move in OPEN GROUND, and they are NOT automatically spotted for adjacency.
No RB at hand but I'm quite sure of this.
Cheers

Bryan Anthony

I hope somebody from LnL can chime in. I swear when I read the section it only sounds like it applies when they are moving by stealth (which puts a stealth marker on them) to close with the enemy. If the opposing player wins initiative in the next turn the marker is no longer there; which leads me to believe that if the opposing player moves units next to the SCU shouldn't it be spotted? As an aside, if stealth is always on why have a stealth marker?

Qwirz

Waiting for an official reply, I can say that the Stealth marker is used to mark that Stealth units have moved (using stealth). Stealth capable units can move normally too. And if they are unmarked they have to be spotted by spotting attempt even If adjacent (unless In open)

Qwirz

Just a little note to my reply above:
Stealth units can move normally, for ex, to take advantage of DT (that cannot be combined with SM).......
;-)

Stupid question: how do you mark that a unit has made a Stealth Movement up to half their MF but has not fired yet? Do you mark it with Assault Move to remember that it can still Fire on an incoming Impulse?

Jeff Lewis

Stupid question: how do you mark that a unit has made a Stealth Movement up to half their MF but has not fired yet? Do you mark it with Assault Move to remember that it can still Fire on an incoming Impulse?

Use the Stealth and AM. In my experience, most AM Fire takes place in the same impulse as the movement so in that case you'd just need the Stealth and then the Fired marker.

Use the Stealth and AM. In my experience, most AM Fire takes place in the same impulse as the movement so in that case you'd just need the Stealth and then the Fired marker.

That was my idea. A couple of questions more regarding these "special movements". Rules 8.0 says that" Units cannot use Assault Movement to enter Melee".
  1. I really don't see what the advantage of using AM to move into a Melee would be. The advantage would be to enter/reinforce via Stealth. Is this allowed?
  2. Another advantage would be to withdraw from a Melee via AM or SM. Is this allowed?

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

That was my idea. A couple of questions more regarding these "special movements". Rules 8.0 says that" Units cannot use Assault Movement to enter Melee".
  1. I really don't see what the advantage of using AM to move into a Melee would be. The advantage would be to enter/reinforce via Stealth. Is this allowed?
  2. Another advantage would be to withdraw from a Melee via AM or SM. Is this allowed?
1) There is no point to entering Melee using AM. Of course you can enter Melee using Stealth.
2) Of course. Though in my experience, withdrawing from Melee does not occur very often--if ever.

Carlos, going forward, if the rules don't say you can't do something, you can do it.