Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.1.20 - Unable to move short distances

Daz

Great news, thanks Dave.
I haven't played much at all since reporting this as I found it quite annoying.
Looking forward to getting back into some new scenarios again.

Rob

Just a note that if you order someone to defend near where they are (ie within the task perimeter, which defaults to 500m) and you uncheck the retakePosition option then the unit will not move to the assigned location. Rather it will defend in its current location. That is the behaviour currently being coded. If you really want them to move, then check the retake position and wait till they get to the desired location, then uncheck it.

Hi,

Nice work......seems just fine now.

Your comment re: checking/unchecking would be a nice (and important) tip for inclusion in v1.01 of the manual! :bookworm:

Rob.

Velkan

Nice work......seems just fine now

Rob, I tested in 5.1.19 what Dave said here:
Just a note that if you order someone to defend near where they are (ie within the task perimeter, which defaults to 500m) and you uncheck the retakePosition option then the unit will not move to the assigned location. Rather it will defend in its current location. That is the behaviour currently being coded. If you really want them to move, then check the retake position and wait till they get to the desired location, then uncheck it.

...and it is still not fixed on the current version (ours). :) We need to wait for 5.1.20 (Dave's version) for the actual fix.

EDIT: I just checked retake position for a random stubborn unit to move its defensive location 200m forwards and it worked (version 5.1.19), for that unit only. Other units usually stay put...

Last edited:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
That's right Daz, the fix is not out to you guys yet. I want to fix the supply issue and then releaqse the 5.1.20 build. Note the middle numeral - "1" indicates that this will be a 'final' version, not a beta version. I will still fix minor bugs as they arise but my main energy after this will be on new features.

Velkan

I can confirm that this works on 5.0.19:
Just a note that if you order someone to defend near where they are (ie within the task perimeter, which defaults to 500m) and you (...) really want them to move, then check the retake position and wait till they get to the desired location, then uncheck it.
I have been moving my units exactly to where I want them by doing this. :D

I haven't played much at all since reporting this as I found it quite annoying.
Looking forward to getting back into some new scenarios again.
Daz, you can resume playing! :)

*budd*

I don't think this is working all the time. Just started playing again and was playing return to St. Vith and was trying to do small adjustments to my units positions and most weren't moving. 2 moved without issue but there adjustments was larger than the others. If i understand the process right you can use defend for small movements as long as retake position is checked, it seems checked by default. I playing the latest update[today] it shouldn't be hard to repeat as i restarted twice and it failed both times. Something seems off with there posture when they go into defend at a VP also, they seem to cluster together. Shouldn't the units reposition automatically when i change the frontage and depth?

Daz

I have been away from the game for a bit, so never played on the last patch, but Budd is right this problem is back for patch 5.1.22.

The units are refusing to move short distances with either a move or a defend order, with or without retake position checked.
I don't have time to sort out a save but hopefully Budd will send one soon, as its not so much fun to play without the ability to reposition your units, especially when on the defensive.

*budd*

Here's 3 saves, no screen shots. This appears to be pretty repeatable. Return to St. Vith The saves are labeled, the orders are all defend orders. 2 units did move, one up in St. Vith it moved right away, the other in lommersweiler about 1 1/2 hours later. I gave a bunch of short orders. Right after i gave the orders a bunch of messages popped up, you should see those after loading the first save and running it. Zip attached

they don't seem to deploy well given the frontage and depth which is why i try to adjust the units

Attachments

• CO2.zip
    253.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Daz

This is quite a nasty bug that effects all the scenarios, although its not game breaking.
I would like to see it fixed in the next patch if at all possible.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
OK I hear you guys. I have just checked out the earlier save from Daz and the one from Budd. The fix I put in earlier does address the save from Daz where the units were assigned a Move to a nearby location but they do not address the cases in Budd's save where the units were assigned a Defend and that's because, while the mRetakePosition is set to true, earlier code within PlanDefend deems that the unit is near the objective and is currently dug in and does not need to redeploy. The mustRedeploy variable is set in these cases to 'false' using the following test:
if isHumanControlled and not isAutoFacing then true, else false

In this casse the force isHumanControlled but autoFacing was set to true. So to make this work you need to set a specific facing. That's the obvious work around but it then means we have two different work arounds - ie this one for defend orders and the retakePosition test for nonDefend tasks. I think that's getting a little confusing and perhaps its time for a specific mustRedeploy option in the Edit Task dialog.

What do you think?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
After a quick sandwich and a short reflection I realise that this UI change will take a bit of time to implement. So I'm going to leave it for now and focus on getting out the new build this afternoon. Until we get to it use the above workaround - ie if issuing a defend order then set a specific facing. If issuing a move order ensure RetakePosition is checked.

*budd*

Will do, thx dave. GPQ- if you adjust the frontage and depth of a defending unit on an objective or anywhere your defending will the units change position automatically to adjust to the new frontage and depth order?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Generally yes. But there are situations where it won't. For instance if the unit already deployed on what it regards as its max frontage, then assigning a bigger frontage will have no effect. They will ignore it, covering any gap by fire rather than by physical presence. Also if the formation type is inSitu, then they will ignore any frontage and depth changes, If all the units are dug in and they are deemed to be close enogh then they will stay put too.

Keydet

Excellent reminder/explanation. It is very logical. Prompts a thought. In real life a subordinate commander might respond to a FRAGO with a question along the line "do you want me to <abc>? <abc> would be about one or more of the options the player could toggle or not.