Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

1939 Fall Weiss scenarios

hubee0

Hi,
I've just added a link (in Resources section) to two scenarios I'd made recently.
They can be especially interesting for polish members of CO2 community.
The second scenario (Piotrkow battle) has not been much tested. I am still in the process of improving it.
I however put a lot of attention to Estab files. I tried to model Polish and German units in 1939 as accurate as possible in terms of numbers, equipment and weapons. But if you find any mistakes, please report them.
Also give me a shout about any problems with scenarios.
Enjoy.

john connor

Fantastic. Will get them and try.

Trying to get Breskid set up. File names in Polish. There are 3 scenario files (cos). Which do I need?

hubee0

Fantastic. Will get them and try.

Trying to get Breskid set up. File names in Polish. There are 3 scenario files (cos). Which do I need?
Beskid_wysp_zach (Island Beskid West) is historical. Only 10 BK (Cavalry Brigade) and 2 p KOP (reg. of Border Defence Corps) involved on Polish side.
Second one (Beskid_wysp_zach_sf) is fictional, but possible in theory. Two existing polish motorized cavalry brigades and two light tank battalions on Polish side. Plus third tank battalion and heavy art. battalion as reinforcements
Third one (Beskid_wysp_zach_sf2) is purely fictional. A Polish armored division is introduced.
If you wish I can translate scenario briefings to English.

In the estab file I used German for german forces naming and Polish for polish forces respectively. I'd like to keep like that, so some basic translations from Polish here:
Brygada (B, Bryg.) - Brigade
10 Brygada Kawalerii (10BK) - 10th Cavalry Brigade
Warszawska Brygada Pancerno-Motorowa (WBPM) - Warsaw Armoured-Motorized Brigade
Wileńska Brygada Kawalerii (WBK) - Cavalry Brigade of Wilno
Grupa Operacyjna (GO) - Operational Group. In polish army it was equivalent of a Corps.
Baza zaop. - supply base
Dywizja Piechoty (DP) - Infantry Division
Pułk (P) - Regiment
Puk Piechoty (PP) Infantry Regiment
Pułk Strzelców Konnych (PSK) - Mounted Rifle Regiment
Pułk Ułanów (PUł., PU) - Uhlan (Lancers) Regiment
Pułk Strzelców Pieszych (PSP) - Foot Rifle Regiment
Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza (KOP) - Border Defense Corps.
Dywizjon (Dyon) - tactical unit used in Polish cavalry between squadron and regiment level - usually two squadrons.
Szwadron (Szw.) - Squadron
Batalion (Baon) - Battalion
Kompania (Komp.) - Company
Pluton (Pl) - Platoon
Dywizjon Art. Ciężkiej (DAC) Heavy Artillery Battalion
Bateria (Bat.) - Battery
Haubica (Haub.) - Howitzer
Armata (Arm.) - Infantry Gun
Czołg (Cz.) - Tank
Piechota (Piech.) - Inafantry
Rozpoznawczy (Rozp.) - Reconnaissance
Zwiadowczy (Zw.) - Reconnaissance, Intelligence
Saper (Sap.) - Engineer
Rezerwowy (Rez.) - Reserve (second order of mobilization)
Przeciwlotniczy (Plot) - AA
Przeciwpancerny (Ppanc) - AArm
Pancerny (panc.) - Armoured
karabin maszynowy (kar. masz.) - machine gun
CKM - heavy machine gun
rkm - light machine gun
mozdzierz (mozdz.) - mortar
Strzelec (Strz.) - Rifleman
motocykl. - motor bike
motokosz - motorocycle with sidecar
kolarze (kol.) - cyclists

Last edited:

john connor

Hey Hubee0. I started playing Breskid historical, but the map isn't really for me. It's very schematic, without much detail. You have huge rectangular/angular blocks of village/town which I don't really understand. They don't exist like that on google earth, and I'm guessing they weren't so large or angular back then. What map did you use to do the Breskid map? Could you post a picture of it? The map you use for the SAM file doesn't show the landscape in that way. Was there any reason you drew it like that?

It looks like this, for example: Note how large the village area is compared to the higher density of the town of Jordanow. That surely can't be accurate?

poland 1.gif

Which, zoomed in, comes out like this - a rigid straight line demarking the village edge. Is that accurate?

poland 2.gif

Which, as far as I can make out, should correspond to some region such as this, with, I think, the village to the right in the pic below corresponding to that village in the section of map above:

poland 3.gif

But I couldn't really find where it would correspond to, because the landscape doesn't look like that. Are those huge blocks of village meant to convey those long lines of houses following roads - a long, strung-out kind of village? If so, why not use the round point drawing tool (which you've used very nicely for the woods), to make them more organic, and certainly much narrower? And why not add much more detail and accuracy?

You've obviously taken great care with the estabs and the scenario set up, but the map seems quite sketchy, which is a shame, for me, because I was really looking forward to playing it. I'm not being critical - just expressing my preferences. I assume you intended it to be this way for a reason, and I'm curious as to what reason?

There may be players out there who don't mind a map that's short on detail, or who like things this way.

Did you trace the map, or do it freehand? I can't match the contours to those I can see clearly in google earth.

I'm only talking about doing this kind of thing, to make the villages more accurate and realistic, for example:

poland 4.gif

I will still play it through, but I wish the map were more detailed and accurate!! Thanks though.

Last edited:

hubee0

Hi John,
Thank you for the remarks. It's OK.
I used a scan from original 1938 map of the area. You can find it now in the scenario folder (1939 beskid wyspowy.bmp).
You are right that my map looks somehow sketchy. I don't really have an artistic hand and concentrated more on a functionality of the map than its visual side. Real villages those days were sparse collections of households along roads and surrounding paths. I tried to reproduce their outside boundaries which could be quite big. Inside those boundaries, buildings were sparse but between them were orchards, fences, fruit trees, sheds, sh..tholes, piles of junk etc. It was a poor country really. Densely built or not it had similar properties in terms of force movement and visibility. That's why I decided to mark those like that. One can treat it like a "village terrain" more than an actual village.
But it certainly could have been done in a better way and can be improved, I admit. It shouldn't impact functionality of the map though.
Look at the Piotrkow scenario map. It may look slightly better.
If you want to find the area on Google maps, just search for Jordanow. The map area as you can see is in bounds of Jordanow - Spytkowice - Rabka - Mszana - Kasina - Lubien.
P.S. I value your opinion. I will try to improve map(s) along with other properties of the scenarios.

Last edited:

john connor

You're right it makes little difference to the combat. Sometimes it does though. Sometimes it can be important. Mainly aesthetics, though - I agree. But it's your country, right - Poland? Don't you want to lovingly paint it into mapmaker in all its glorious, beautiful detail? ;) You could put in some of those fields and field systems we can see in google earth too. They won't have changed much since the war, I imagine. Use a field graphic and give them a height value higher than the clear terrain default then even that can make a valuable los difference - I would think especially when the new patch comes out with its changes to los.

I look forward to any improvements! Thanks!

hubee0

Improved version of the scenario(s) has been created as a "Fall Weiss" resource.

john connor

Just got round to downloading these new versions and booting them up. The map looks great now. Well done! Will play them! Thanks!

john connor

Quick suggestion. Do you know how to randomise the unit and commander stats? There is a very quick and easy way to do it in scenmaker, and it makes the stats look so much better than the default bars, even if you only randomise by 10%.

1.png

After you select the option as above you will get a dialogue asking you if you want to apply it to all subordinate units, click yes. You can go down through the list randomising as you wish, then do the same with the next tab to the right, for the commanders.

Just in case you missed it.

hubee0

Thank you John for the suggestion. I was aware of the randomization feature. I didn't use it, being afraid that when a scenario doesn't work as expected, there would bee too many factors to blame.
But next time, I will use the feature.