Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

A Wing and a Prayer enemy interception question

My game of a Wing and a Prayer arrived today. Getting it all set up and ready to play my first game tomorrow. 1942 5 mission campaign. Reading through the rules, I am confused about one thing. It appears that you roll for enemy interceptors in every box you enter and, after determining the type, that there will always be at least one interceptor. Am I missing something here? Are the interceptors automatic in every box? Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom Konczal

Tony Costa

Hi Tom,
Can you point to the rule number or reference that's confusing you?
Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Thanks - Tony

Hi Tom,
Can you point to the rule number or reference that's confusing you?
Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Thanks - Tony

Yes I have played B-17 QTS as well as Ttarget for Ttoday and in both of those games it is a random die roll whether or not a fighter appears in each new zone you enter. In this game, if I read 9.1.1 correctly, enemy interceptors are generated automatically in each box you enter on the way to and from the target. The only variable is the type chart 9.1.2 and the number, a raw 1d6 die roll. Is that correct?

Tony Costa

Tom,
Yeah, you misunderstood, or actually you jumped the Sequence of Play direct into the combat rules. No big deal.
Rule section 9.0 are rules for Air Combat, they are used AFTER Enemy Interceptors are generated.
Usually Enemy Interceptors are generated by Events.

So, no you do not check for Enemy Interceptors in every box.
Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any more questions.
Thanks - Tony

Tom,
Yeah, you misunderstood, or actually you jumped the Sequence of Play direct into the combat rules. No big deal.
Rule section 9.0 are rules for Air Combat, they are used AFTER Enemy Interceptors are generated.
Usually Enemy Interceptors are generated by Events.

So, no you do not check for Enemy Interceptors in every box.
Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any more questions.
Thanks - Tony

Great! Thanks! So if I understand correctly, you do a formation events table check once every sequence of play and, based upon the rolls, this is the only way enemy interceptors can enter the game.

Tony Costa

Correct.
Sequence of Play 5.8 Formation Events Check (Rule 6.1.1), if you do get Enemy Interceptors place them on the Formation Card.
Sequence of Play 5.9 Conduct Air Combat "If there are Enemy Interceptors on the Formation Card conduct Air Combat (Rule 9.0)....."

Correct.
Sequence of Play 5.8 Formation Events Check (Rule 6.1.1), if you do get Enemy Interceptors place them on the Formation Card.
Sequence of Play 5.9 Conduct Air Combat "If there are Enemy Interceptors on the Formation Card conduct Air Combat (Rule 9.0)....."

Thanks again. I am really excited to try this tomorrow. It is so different from B-17 QTS and Target for Today and the DVG's B-17 Leader game. Looks like a lot of fun. thanks for the quick response.
Tom Konczal

wtexas

Thank you for this thread Tom and Tony. I understood the # of interceptors rules the same way Tom did.