Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Abandoned Attack due to lack of time (why?)

Fox

I was playing the encircling Aachen scenario and as part of my initial plan I was making an attack on the southern side of the salient with the 18th infantry regiment.

I had the assault at time set at 0700 (on 1st day), since the scenario started at 0500 and there was no initial orders delay I though that 2 hours would be ample time for the regiment to get ready for the attack. However 3 minutes before the assault at time the HQ abandoned the attack "due to lack of time".

I'm a bit confused as to why this happened as I would expect the HQ to "slip" the assault at into the future if it needed more time, not give up altogether. I've had this happen in some previous games as well and it can really mess up your plans as you have to start the attack from scratch. Any ideas on why this occurs/how to prevent it? (I have saves if necessary, images are below)

attack.png
settings.png

Also as a second question I have noticed recently that when I try to adjust the assault at time after the attack order has already been processed (for example if one HQ slips it's assault time and I need to delay another HQ by the same amount) I am not able to do so, I can adjust the assault at time in the edit task window but the change is not processed at all. Is this working as designed?

Daz

This goes back quite a long way I'm afraid. See here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3313015&mpage=1&key=

There is also some discussion about it here:
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/fixed-5-1-25-start-timings-bug.2318/

I expect it will get sorted out in the next update when we get sequential tasking.

In the mean time, its best to move your attacking formation close to the FUP, then issue the attack order, allowing plenty of time.
Another option of course, is to not set an assault at time for attacks where units have to move long distances, or through enemy observed terrain, to get to the FUP. The attack will then go in when they are ready.
If you need to co-ordinate it with other formations, look out for the move complete message in the log and a change in the task icon on the unit counters, from move, to assault.
You can then get the H-hour for the attack, from the Assault Tasks dialogue box, Start time.
If the other supporting formations are already at their FUP, this should give you enough time to co-ordinate an attack with them.

Reactions: Fox