Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Across the Tartar Ditch

john connor

5.png

The 5.867 flees out of their fortifications across open ground following sustained artillery attack. Their morale and cohesion were always on the low side - perhaps all that frantic building of fortifications exhausted and depressed them....But leaving the fortifications was mad. The arty will hit them bad now....

Last edited:

john connor

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
The 5.867 have taken around 45 casualties and retreated away from their fortified positions. They're on an order to retake their positions, however, so I'm hoping they will cross that ground again and get back into those trenches, perhaps when it gets dark in about an hour. Does anyone know whether - if they do retake their original positions - they will in fact be shown as 'fortified' again? ie; do the fortifications, though not shown in game (that would be good for CO2, no?) in fact still exist for the units to re-occupy?

6.png

Last edited:

CapHillRat

Command Ops Scenario Designer
Hi Peter. I am not sure about the fortification question. I can tell you that the Axis suffered horrendous casualties slogging their way down the isthmus. Manstein felt he had no other choice and viewed the entire effort as a horrendous use of men and material.

john connor

Thanks Chris. What source did you use? Is it Manstein's book mainly? I must get that, perhaps.

CapHillRat

Command Ops Scenario Designer
Hi Peter. Yes I think I read that in Manstein's book "Decisive Victories." One of the best ww2 books I have read. Fascinating insights into course of War in the East.

Website
springelkamp.nl
For these kind of 'training wargames' the following setup is ideal:

Make a copy of your full Command Ops directory to some other place on your harddisk, then start one instance by clicking on its .exe file and start hosting a multiplayer game.

Next go to the other directory and start that .exe as well, and join the game at IP-nr 127.0.0.1.

Now you can give exact orders for both sides, by switching with alt-tab between the instances of the game.

john connor

Thanks Erik. I wonder how that would pan out, since you would know what each side was up to.

Website
springelkamp.nl
Well, if you want to see how a particular kind of attack plays out with a particular defensive setup, this is the way.

I don't mean to use this for a 'real single player game', just for studies.

john connor

9.png

Day break brings the unwelcome sight of those dreaded black counters - in this case the LAH, we believe. To begin with we pin them with as much arty as possible (circle 1). But they're not like the regular units, definitely not - they come through it, they press on.....

At circle 3 we easily hold a smaller attack with mortar and AT fire.

Most alarmingly (in retrospect) at circle 2 more elements of LAH. But where are they headed?

john connor

10.png

Sneaky bloody AI!!!! Somehow Stugs and other elements of LAH - maybe partly under cover of darkness, but also right under our noses - have sneaked through our right wing (circle 3) and are headed straight for Perekop!! Immediately I get messages saying all my units up in the east there are cut off with supply suspended! Need to re-establish the supply routes fast. The Waffen SS are harder to contain than the normal German army, it seems. Up in the top right corner my armour has just arrived. I order it down to Perekop to seal off that route. There will be a small clash of armour when we get there.

Meanwhile the main body of LAH seems to be taking the route I've marked 1. The AI attack is certainly building and has been galvanised by the arrival of the crack Waffen SS troops and their tanks.

At 4 we still have nothing but probing attacks, easily countered with indirect fire.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Re trenches. If a force digs in then its entrenched area remains for the duration of the scenario even if the unit leaves it. Any other unit deploying there will gain a benefit by dramatically reducing the time it takes for that unit to dig in.

Guy Miller

is this still ongoing? I've had some technical difficulties with CO2 so far, but I am eager to play as much as possible as I find it one of the most enjoyable WW2 games I've ever played.

john connor

Sure. It's Chris Maiorana's scenario and you should be able to get it over at TheSharpendGaming blog - http://thesharpendgaming.blogspot.fi/. Any probs with it - OOB or map inaccuracies, for example - you would need to take up with Chris. It's a user-made scenaro, not an official one.