Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Additional Scenarios

Steve Overton

There will be about 20 scenarios added to the release after discussions last week. I'll add those here when I create them.

You can have an impact on that by letting me know what you prefer to see in the game. At this moment I would expect there to be no less than one of each of these categories listed. That could well change by your input.

1) Small scenarios - 1 map with approximately 2 platoons per side or less.

2) Small scenarios - 1 map with approximately 1 platoon of vehicles per side.

3) Small scenarios - 1 map with approximately 1 platoon of infantry and 1 or 2 vehicles per side.

4) Medium scenarios - 1 map with approximately a company per side.

5) Medium scenarios - 2 maps with approximately a company per side.

6) Medium scenarios - 3 maps with approximately 2 platoons of vehicles per side.

7) Medium scenarios - 4 maps with approximately 1 platoon of vehicles and infantry per side.

8) Large scenarios - 4 maps with approximately a company of infantry per side.

9) Large scenarios - 5 maps with approximately a company of infantry and a platoon of infantry per side.

10) Large scenarios - 5 maps with helicopters, infantry and vehicles.

11) Large scenarios - 6 maps with approximately a company of both vehicles and infantry.

12) Large scenarios - 6 maps with helicopters and approximately a company of infantry and a platoon of vehicles.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Steve Overton

Added a 2 map scenario for the control of a small hill mass. 2nd ACR vs 20th Gds MRD south and west of Hohenfels.

Good Hunting.

MR

L3 HIll 55 Map setupJ.jpg

Last edited:

Rydo

Lovely maps :)

I like medium scenarios and i think that them should be more prominent in the game.

I'll tell you why : After you set a scenario and start playing time passes, as more time you're committed to a certain thing the more is probable you will start to get "bored" ( staying in the same location, sitting down for too much, etc ) and too long scenarios tend to occupy too much time in a day and probably the game must be stopped and retrieved the folloing day. The problem in this is that resuming a scenario is not the same as playing one and finish it in a realistic time-frame.

Now i'll tell you what i think is better for me ( if you want to read it all ):

- Small scenarios are perfect to get the taste of a game or to fill the gap whenever you don't have/want to use too much time on the game. There sould be quite some but not soo much. Let's say a 30% of total scenarios and should represent marginary actions. The scenarios can be unbalanced ( more forces versus minor ones ).

- Medium scenarios should be the core, not too long to be fully played and at the same time not too short to give you the impression it wasn't enought. They're just that, perfect. They should represent important actions and should be 50% of total scenarios. That type of scenarios MUST be completely balanced and even if force disparity is too much it must be finely tuned in order to make them balanced ( A soviet company against a US platoon have the clear edge on numbers but the US can overcompensate this by beign deployed in a higly defensive terrain or beign tasked to defend more objectives where the Soviet player is forced to split his forces and thus reducing the unbalance. In order for this to happen the maps Line of Sights must be tuned to the max. ).

- Large scenarios should be low but monster ones, usually revolving around crucial events where each side commits himself to the max. 20% is the right amount, even lower. Balance could be shifted towards a side or the other but not too much difference.

The last but more important thing for me are scenario cards and description. Since you're creating a fictionary war you are free with your immagination so the only limit is your mind.
Scenario descriptions are CRUCIAL to get you in the right mood for the game. If they will be short and/or sloppy i'll pass the game entirely. I want to immagine scenarios as some events happened and they must sound real. Take your time with it and make them great and you have me playing this every day. I want fake history.

Examples :

What i don't want :

" Bravo company was watching the river and a soviet column approached. The fight was set. "

Suck.

What i want :

" Since the opening of the hostilities the Red Army and Nato played a game of hit and run all across west germany. While many toughts that war would have been a war of attrition turned instead in a war of who was the first to hunt supply lines and cut them off. This slowed down Soviet advance but it was nowhere near to be halted completely and by the end of June the Reds where in the process to cross the Rhine.
Bravo company of the 7th Armoured Division was tasked to form various patrol missions across the river and inform the head quarter whenever a Soviet unit was spotted.
On the night of June 23th, a company sized group of the Soviet 33th Motorized division was intercepted by a patrol of Bravo's company.
Asking what to do they were ordered to engage and wait for the full division to come...too bad for them the entire 33th motor division was already mobilizing its forces.
What was just a search and destroy mission would have turned into a full frontal assault. The rest lies over the Rhine..."

Something like that :)

Hope you'll get all of this as a genuine form of help from me! Good work guys!

And keep hunting! :)

Last edited:

Steve Overton

The scenario for the map set displayed above is:

L3 Triple Nickel Hil 2l.png

This format is very likely not the one that will be used in the game and is just my own formatting.

I've been making scenarios for decades. I have a pretty good idea how I want to present a briefing and what I want to see in it. Like you cookie cutter briefings don't work for me either.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Rydo

The scenario for the map set displayed above is:

View attachment 5922

This format is very likely not the one that will be used in the game and is just my own formatting.

I've been making scenarios for decades. I have a pretty good idea how I want to present a briefing and what I want to see in it. Like you cookie cutter briefings don't work for me either.

Good Hunting.

MR
Good to know and i like the description!

In the first game there will be Americans versus Soviets right? I hope you will introduce the other factions in later expansions!

Units artwork is great too.

With all this said we just have to wait...please release a demo at some point :)

Steve Overton

Yes, the first game is US vs Russian.

The plan for the series, depending on sales of course, is to do all of NATO vs WP in 1989 time period. After that we will see where gamers would like to see the series go. It can cover any period from 1936 through 20 years into the future.

Good Hunting.

MR

Rydo

Cool!

It looks like a monster scenario, 6 maps!!

I also looked at the units and they have different experience ratings, from rookie to veterans, they can change during battle? Like a vet team receive casualties and is degraded or stuff like this?

Steve Overton

Yes and no. A unit can become disrupted and lose values to it's ratings. It can become broken and lose value to it's ratings. It can be both disrupted and broken and lose value to it's ratings. It can then either become combat ineffective or recover if it's given enough time.

And yes, that is a monster scenario. The scenarios range from small 1 map fights to monsters that use all 6 maps.

Good Hunting.

MR

Steve Overton

With the additional scenarios I've reordered the sequence. That gives me a better flow for the scenarios and allows for more instructional learning from them if you follow them in order. It also allowed me to put the new graphics on the scenario cards.

L1 Kontact UD2J.jpg

Good Hunting.

MR