Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

After Action Report - Heroes of the Nam Scenario #1 - "Ap Bac"

coolcorn

Heroes of the Nam Scenario #1 - "Ap Bac"

KxsERKEl.jpg

An immobilized M113; ARVN troops, battle of Ap Bac

What a nailbiter this one was! This was my first foray into Lock N Load's Vietnam world, and I definitely learned a lot. For one thing, never dilly dally. Even though I had 8 full turns, I only captured the stone/HC building on the LAST impulse of the LAST turn. Also, watch out for melee! Phew, I really need to figure out a way to deter from melee. The VC would have easily won if they hadn't lost two stacks in the jungle from ARVN troops moving in. How can I defend against that? Stay further away? I guess opportunity fire can prevent melee, but that's not possible in the jungle! On top of that, the VC should have used their triple-value ambush more. I think that will be very powerful in the future if I pay more attention to it.

End results:

LJkhjo8l.jpg

Except for a stack of shaken ARVN guys + a medic in the jungle on board 4, and an ARVN leader + shaken MMC on the hill to the south, this is all that was left! What really changed things was moving my M113s in, buttoned up, and then unbuttoning to fire while adjacent to units in the building. As far as I can tell, unbuttoning doesn't count as a movement, so can't be opportunity fired upon. And being adjacent to the building automatically spots the VC troops in there!

That sniper in the upper level of the building should get some sort of commendation. The VC leader spotted three ARVN units in a light jungle hex about 6-7 hexes away. The sniper shot at the stack. Sniper rolled a 12, ARVN units rolled a 3 (+1 for light jungle = 4). A +8 damage check! All three checks were over 12, which, for a morale of 4, eliminates the units outright. What a shot. That ALMOST turned the tides, but it was too late in the scenario (that happened on turn 7), and the ARVN had snuck most of the force around the west side of the map.

Here is the death toll:

T2y5Etdl.jpg

Ignore the anachronistic East Front dice tower :) Maybe I'll get to use it if I can save up enough money for Heroes of the Motherland!

In the end, a very very fun scenario. So much action, so much narrative, and really gave me a feeling like I was there. Can't wait to dive into scenario 2. If people liked this, I'll type up an AAR for scenario 2 after I finish it!

Thank you for the AAR.

Some things to keep in mind. A buttoned up vehicle can not spot, even if it is adjacent to an enemy unit. Also, the Sniper can only target one unit in a stack. Usually the unit is selected randomly.

The Triple Melee advantage can be a game changer for the VC. Two or three units with a Support Weapon (SW) and a Leader with a Leader modifier can be dangerous.

coolcorn

Some things to keep in mind. A buttoned up vehicle can not spot, even if it is adjacent to an enemy unit. Also, the Sniper can only target one unit in a stack. Usually the unit is selected randomly.
What if the buttoned vehicle begins his impulse next to a unit, and then unbuttons at the beginning of his impulse? The enemy unit would then be spotted, right?

Qwirz

Thanks For your writing!

Remember that a vehicle can change its buttoned/unbuttoned status ONLY at the beginning of its impulse. So it should unbutton and then move....being targeted by OF.....

I've yet to move on to vehicles. Just now starting to feel comfortable with simple infantry combat. Have started incorporating ordnance weapons. Once I'm good with that I'll move on to vehicles. Was this your first attempt at a Lock n Load Tactical game, coolcorn?

Thanks for sharing!

coolcorn

I've yet to move on to vehicles. Just now starting to feel comfortable with simple infantry combat. Have started incorporating ordnance weapons. Once I'm good with that I'll move on to vehicles. Was this your first attempt at a Lock n Load Tactical game, coolcorn?

Thanks for sharing!

This was my first LNL Tactical foray, yep! But, I come from an ASL background, where vehicles require a doctorate in order to use correctly. Vehicles in LNLT are so much more elegantly designed :)