Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Alternative Estab Editor

magomar

Hi guys
¿Would you be interested in an alternative editor able to work with two estabs simultaneously?
¿Would you like to be able to create new forces by composing from existing forces? (Ex. create a battallion as a composition of various companys plus the HQ)
¿Would you like the ability to check for errors in the references to other elements? (for example the references to the weapons carried by a vehicle, or the ammunition used by certain weapon)
If you are interested in those features, then watch this thread, I will come with news about such an editor very soon.

magomar

Here it is: http://magomar.github.io/EstabEditorFX/

Captura2.JPG

magomar

New hotfix released ! Please note this is still a beta. I have already tested many of the features, and everything seems to work properly, but I think it should be used with caution. I have started to use it to produce a estab for an actual scenario we are developing, so this would be a real test for the tool.
Also note this editor generates estabs that are compatible with version 4 of the estabs, which is prior to Command Ops 2. Anyway, the generated estabs can be opened with the new editor, which will convert them to version 7.
If there are people willing to use it I would consider writing some kind of manual or a tutorial.
And remember, this is not officially supported.

magomar

Version 1.4.1 is out. It solves many bugs and produces xml estab files that are fully compatible with the original estab file. That means the xml generated with my editor can be compiled using the original editor.
Note that this editor produces xml version 4 (the latest estab version before Command Ops 2), which can then be updated to the newest version using the CO2 editor.
If there were some people interested I would consider extending my editor to fully support the new features in CO2, but it seems nobody is interested, so I'm stopping development here.

http://magomar.github.io/EstabEditorFX/

Daz

Hi magomar.
Sorry to hear that the take up on your Estab Editor has been slow.
I personally am not that interested in making my own scenarios.

I get most of my gaming pleasure in unravelling the tactics needed to win the many excellent scenarios that are already on offer in the various official expansion packs.

I'm surprised that others have not taken up your offer though.
Your screenshot looks great.

Dijon

Hi magomar,

I'm new to CO2 and I was wondering if you could tell me, in general terms, how one would use your tool. Does one use it to edit existing estab files, or to generate new ones, or both? Thanks.

Version 1.4.1 is out. It solves many bugs and produces xml estab files that are fully compatible with the original estab file. That means the xml generated with my editor can be compiled using the original editor.
Note that this editor produces xml version 4 (the latest estab version before Command Ops 2), which can then be updated to the newest version using the CO2 editor.
If there were some people interested I would consider extending my editor to fully support the new features in CO2, but it seems nobody is interested, so I'm stopping development here.

http://magomar.github.io/EstabEditorFX/

magomar

Hi magomar,

I'm new to CO2 and I was wondering if you could tell me, in general terms, how one would use your tool. Does one use it to edit existing estab files, or to generate new ones, or both? Thanks.

It could be used in both cases: to generate a new estab from scrath, as well as modifying an existing estab.
The main difference with the original editor is the ability to see and copy elements between two estabs: one estab is opened in read-only mode, and the other one is opened in write-mode. I'm going on holidays tomorrow, but I will create a video demonstrating the features of this new editor. If I detect an interest in my editor I would also create some kind of manual or tutorial.

You can find some as well as the download link here: http://magomar.github.io/EstabEditorFX/

Dijon

Thank you, the info in your link was helpful. I'm still not clear if your editor works with CO2 (i.e. I don't have BFTB). If it does, then I am definitely interested. I hope you enjoy your vacation :)

magomar

You are welcome.
1. The estab files generated with my editor will work in CO2, they will simply be converted to the latest version when you open them in the CO2 estab editor. This conversion implies that the new features are filled with default data.
2. The files generated using the CO2 editor can be opened in my editor, but you won't be able to edit those new features.
So the general answer is yes, you can use it as far as you do not need to edit data corresponding to the new features.

The new features in the estab file are:
- service artillery command & control durations
- force comms ratings
- ready to bombard durations

I suggest you simply try both editors, the original one and my editor. You can even transition from one to another depending on the particular activities you are involved at different moments. Note there are also some experimental features which deserve more testing (like the ability to define forces by composition)

As I have already stated, if there are people willing to use my editor I would be pleased to resume development (to make improvements and include the new features).

Edit: New version is out (1.4.2). This version improves readability of the GUI when opening estabs in read-only mode

Dijon

Thanks, magomar. I'll try it out while you're on vacation and try to have some feedback for you when you return.