Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Ambush - Mogadishu, Somalia; June 5, 1993 - With beta rules

Rydo

Ambush - Mogadishu, Somalia, June 5, 1993
The seminal event that lead to Task Force Ranger's fight for their lives was the ambush of an element of the Pakistani contingent of the UNITAF Peacekeeping force. The Pakistanis were on what they assumed was a routine mission to confiscate a Somali weapons cache, but they had been set up. Waiting in ambush were crack elements of Aidid's well-armed and well-motivated militia. It was a bleak day for the Pakistanis.

Overview : It was a strange day at the outskirts of Mogadishu, or at least that was what was thinking Liutenant Abbas when he received the order to get into the red zone of Mogadishu to grab some Somali weapons.
He was given the command of a full platoon with the heavy weapon team attached.
Those men were well trained and combat ready but they could not expect that a routine day would turn into a fight for their survival.
On the other part of the town, warlord Waal and his crew were awaiting the signal to attack the Pakistanis column.
After a few hours the Pakistanis were arrived and were searching the houses for the weapons...too bad the weapons they had to confiscate were pointed at them.

Forces overview

Pakistani Expeditionary Unit

z6x85wu.jpg

Comment :
Honestly those units are respectable. They posses high firepower ( 2 ) and a good morale. They can't Assault Move but i'm quite sure those squads can hold their ground effectively. The only downside is that when they shake they go down to morale ( 4 ) so they could be hard to get back into the fight.
The Leader is average and the MG-3 will be the key to survive the ambush.

Members of the Aidid "Militia"

3krS9Pq.jpg

Comment :
Well, here we are talking about something else. On paper it looks scary, will it be on the battlefield?
The Leaders are not that great but at least they are here.
Squads seems good but they don't shake, so if you take casualties or shaken you are gonna see your units slowly fading away.
The Pakistanis got a platoon and here we have a company-like force.
Numbers are on our side, and RPD and RPG will serve as a force multiplier.

Game starts!

Turn One - Somali initiative

MJC7AOO.jpg

Situation on turn one was uncertain.

Pakistanis looks besieged from all directions, some of them are in buildings while two squads are in the open. The Somali player here tried to immediately put pressure on the surrounded Pak squads.
Some Somali movements in the east got caught by the MG-3 team that manage to shake Ali, and reduce a squad.

Other Somali units tried to get the MG-3 team down but they were pinned in the streets.
Since the MG-3 team can put an acquisition marker in the place where he shoots he basically stopped the whole east portion of the map.

Lt. Abbas moved trought the houses to try to make the Somali forces think he's escaping from the east edge ( Pak forces can exit the map trought east and south ) so that the pression on the MG guys and the squads on the streets can decrease.

Two Somali squads try to engage the MG team in melee, but only one succeed while the other remain blocked by fear in the streets.

The MG team easily eliminate the assaulting team.

The rest of the turn is just Will Waal following Lt. Abbas and some Somali manouvering.

Turn two - Somali initiative

gxgZw1r.jpg

This turn things starts going hot.

As the Somali player receive the initiative, he immediately opens fire on Lt. Abbas and his men caught in the open. Will guys manage to shake a Pak squad but fail to shake the leader.

Seeing his guys panicking, the Liutenant guide them into a building out of sight from all Somali units around.

Fearing a possible close assault at Lt. Abbas shaken men, a Pak squad rush and engage in melee Will Waal and his guys hoping to build time for their comrades to get back up.

The melee turns into nothing and the group remain engaged in a bloody street fight.

In the west a Somali 1-3-4 squad go into a more protected position and waits for the Pak forces in the streets to move and ROF.

The remaining Pak squad in the open run into cover, the Somali 1-3-4 try ROF but fails.

In the east, two Somali half squads try to assault in close combat Lt. Abbas and his men but they hesitate.

In the north the MG team reduce the Somalis in the streets and receive fire from all directions but remaining bold and entrenched.

Turn Three - Pakistanis initiative

KRd01ir.jpg

The Pak initiative caught Somali player off-guard.

In Lock'n Load even a single move done at the right time could give you victory and this is what happened here.

Lt. Abbas manage to rally his men while the shaken Somali leader fails.

The Liutenant order immediately to open fire at the Somali half-squad armed with RPD, eliminating it easily. The other one near opens fire but its a miss.

In the north things became very intense. The MG team manage to eliminate a full squad but after receiving for two turns fire from three full squads and an RPG they shake.

This is the opportunity the Somali was waiting! Infact he immediately send the 1-3-4 in the open to enter the MG-3 team building but got caught by the other Pak squad guarding the streets. The Somali squad got reduced and pinned in the streets.

Down in the south Will Waal and his men manage to finally eliminate the Pak squad in melee but losing a full 1-3-4 in the process.

Some ROF happened but they were all misses.

Scenario at the end

5FNtmMn.jpg

Victory points total :

Pakistani Expeditionary Force : 5 - Aidid's militia : 1

Pakistanis major victory.

Casualties

Pakistani Expeditionary Force ( around 10 KIA and Wounded ).
Aidid's militia ( around 45 KIA, MIA, Wounded ).

BQJVMKn.jpg

Pakistanis platoon lost some ten men total while the Aidid's militia more than fourty and mostly good ones.

This will be probably nothing for the Somalis ranks but still they showed how weak they are in a face-to-face firefight.

Aftermath
The ambush failed miserably as the Pakistanis forces manage to open their way to the base camp.
Tought Aidid's message was still received by western powers as some ten Pakistanis soldiers are dead or wounded. The west must stay away from Somali internal affairs.
Aidid was still punishing the returning men for the failed ambush and ordered his men to get ready for a possible Pakistan counterattack.
He couldn't immagine that it will not be Pakistan to strike back, but the US itself.
Some Black-Hawks were flying in the distance.
75th Rangers regiment was on the way.

END!

Bye!!!

Last edited:

Tom Manning

Great AAR....the Melee attack on shaken troops rules was a thorn in my side...can't help but wonder if the ROF rule was included in the beta 4.2 Ww2 rulebook as well.....Would stand to reason...but,one never knows...asked yhecquestion on FB...tagged David Heath...all I got was a "like" in reply...no answer..

Tom Manning

Thanks David....having a difficult time downloading the 4.2 Beta rules...I do have adobe reader installed on my IPad...is this because it's still in Beta?

Tom Manning

Tony,
That worked....I was really interested in the WW2 era Beta...but if as David related,the specific rule is in both.......I'm golden....
Thank you

Sentbfrom my IPad

Rydo

Tony,
All is good! Thank you....Might I ask if there are major changes in the rules between 4.1 and 4.2?
The main changes are ROF and Assault movement, probably there is more but the "big" ones are those.

Glad you liked the AAR.

Give it a like so you will increase my morale ;)

Tom Manning

Tony,
Done...did you feel your ego inflate?
When do you realistically anticipate release of 4.2.
Will there be an errata sheet for owners of 4.1?

Rydo

Thank you!

Write some on your own if you have time, it is always great to read AARs!

Hope to see you write one, bye!

Rydo

I have to wait to receive the games :)
Perfect!

If i can give you a tip, you can download a free module called Checkpoint Calvi on BGG or in alternative PM me you email and i send to you the updated module and the maps so you can have more games.

This one is about the 2003 Ivory coast skirmish between the French Legionnaries and some rebels.

Just look at those pieces of Art:

8ivitHC.png

BEWARE i've not made the module or the art, everything was made by the Ln'L Artist David Julien. I just point to you that this gem exist!