Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

America Conquered Formation Action, Mobs Questions

So...

Two turns into the first scenario. Who would have thought the Cubans wouldn't have activated on Turn 1?

Anyway, a couple of questions regarding Formation Actions and Mobs:

1. The rules speak of "actions" when activated. For instance, a HQ can only call an artillery strike as its first action. Forgive me for being dense, but what are the actions that can be taken and can more than one be taken in a turn? I know I can:

(1) move
(2) shoot
(3) take opportunity fire
(4) perform an assault
(5) conduct an overrun
(6) call an artillery strike

What I apparently can't do is move and shoot in the same turn unless my unit is so designated as being capable of moving fire, correct?

2. Mob generation. Do the ships generate mobs? Seems like they would, but it was a bit fuzzy for me.

3. Mob generation. The rules state to place a "fired" marker on a Cuban unit so that you may check for Mob generation at the end of the turn. Are there actual "fired" markers included in the game? If so, I sure can't find them.... ;)

That's if for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move through the scenarios....

Last edited:

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hi Scott,

Here's the new, clarified sequence of play for a Formation Impulse, from the new Core Rules draft. Let me know if this helps, and any feedback you may have, as they can still be adjusted. Think of yourself as a playtester! ;-)

Follow these steps to execute a single Formation Impulse:

1 REFRESH step: remove any and all Ops Complete and Out of Command markers from the Activated Formation’s units.

2 COMMAND STATUS step: Check the Command Status of all the Activated Formation’s units. Place Out of Command markers as necessary.

3 DISRUPTION REMOVAL step: make Morale Checks for each unit of the Activated Formation with a Disrupted marker. A successful Morale Check removes the Disruption marker from that unit.

4 OFF-BOARD ARTILLERY STRIKES step: The Activated Formation’s HQ or any integral and/or attached unit with a RECON special Ability triangle may attempt to place 1 or 2 available Off-Board Indirect Artillery Fire Mission markers and execute them.

5 ACTION step: Execute Actions with the any or all of the Activated Formation’s units, one hex at a time (a hex may contain a stack of units). Each unit in such a hex may perform one of Action in this step. When completed the unit or units are marked with an Ops Complete marker:

Movement

Direct Fire

Move & Fire (Uses Direct Fire)

On-Board Indirect Fire

Overrun

Assault

The Action Step ends when there are no more units of the Activated formation without Ops Complete markers, or the owner of the formation does not wish to perform any more Operations/Actions with that formation’s units. At the end of a Formation Impulse, return to the top of this sequence of play and start another Operations Phase as above, i.e draw another marker from the Formation cup/deck.

Move & Fire: you are correct! A unit must have an underlined AP or HE value to move and fire that FP Value. (FYI in the new game we are removing the underlines in favor of an orange triangle next to the vehicle symbol to indicate the capability of Moving Fire.)

I will get your your MOB answers momentarily, I have to dig up the old AC rulebook.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
2. Mob generation. Do the ships generate mobs? Seems like they would, but it was a bit fuzzy for me.

Wow thats because in one place it says generate a MOB when ANY Cuban unit fires which at first glance would include the two ships. But later it says when evaluating the Fired markers (and I will offer an alternative to those markers below) to not evaluate a Fired marker in WATER. So why not just say, thatthe ships do not generate mobs, and save marker placement? Which I do now. Ships do not generate mobs (unless they are scuba divers of course...) ;-)

3. Mob generation. The rules state to place a "fired" marker on a Cuban unit so that you may check for Mob generation at the end of the turn. Are there actual "fired" markers included in the game? If so, I sure can't find them.... ;)

There do not appear to be; I just wen tover the counter sheets. But there are a heck of a lot of Improved Position markers that are not used in this scenario, and so are available to stand in for the non-existent Fired markers. I suggest placing an Improved Position marker on the BOTTOM of a stack that includes Cuban units when it fires, to indicate "Fired". Then evaluate the Improved Position markers to generate MOBs per the existing scenario special rules. Does that work?

Keith,

Thanks for the answers! I've been using helo landed markers for fired markers.

Regarding mobs and ships, I read the rules to mean ignore results which placed mobs in water, which is what prompted my question. I figured it reasonable that a ship shooting up the city would generate a mob even if they couldn't swim out to the ship. I'm easy either way.