Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

An event that occurred a long time ago

Grognerd

Around the 1980's or maybe the 90's my wargaming buddy and I worked at Vandenberg AFB in Central California, we were members of a loose group of gamers called the central coast wargamers.

Jack Green (at the time owner of Quarter Deck games, I think) invited Ted and I to his home in Cambria Pines to practice the Europa game "Fall of France". Jack had made a bet with another Wargame designer owner who lived in Australia that he would whip him in the game as the Allies. The loser had to eat the game counters.

So over the course of several sessions Ted and I played the Germans and invaded France, but Jack won.
When Jack went to Australia and played, he decidedly lost, he puréed the counters and mixed them in a shake. Neither he or us noticed the rule that forced the BEF to move historically, thus allowing the German forces to cut through the Ardennes unscathed.

I'm only recounting this story to see if anyone at Panther Games was involved in this, as I just can't remember who in Australia Jack was going to play...

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Memories...yeah I remember that. Jack was playing Ian Trout of SSG fame. Sadly Ian passed away some years ago. I was staying over at Ian's house at the time. Good times. I also remember staying at Jack's place at Cambria in 1987. I drove up from LA after the Origins convention there. I remember how hot it was on the inland desert route heading north but then when I headed west to Cambria and hit the mountain forests it was freezing - this was July and took me by surprise. Jack was a very generous host and a fun guy to be around.

Grognerd

The world can be a small place when it wants to.

I'm sorry about Ian, I am aware as SSG was pretty popular for us wargamer types. I hope I did not bring back sad memories.
Seems like in someway this part of growing old and losing friends and family is the most painful part!

I thought Panther, SSG or maybe the Australian Design Group was who Jack was playing, just could not remember.

You were at Origins 87, my buddy Ted went but I was caught up in work and could not get off. The only Origins on the west coast and I missed it. Ha! We normally went to 2 game conventions a year at the Hyatt or Hilton at LAX.

Spent 25 in the Central CA coast and it is normally quite cold, Ted and I lived in Santa Maria when we worked at the launch sites, fairly close to Cambria and in the same weather zone. Ted went to Denver to retire (he likes snow) I went to Melbourne Florida to retire (I don't like snow) we don't game together any more but we keep in touch.

BlackJaguar

I'm a good friend of Roger Keating from SSG, I even remember Ian. I have in the past exchanged few emails with Ian. Roger mentioned me many times Panther Games, I'm glad Dave you are still around. I'm looking forward to the upgrade and BoB module.

kobawia

All that feels like yesterday was only for me. I have a lovely strong memory, I can in any case recall the scents and taste of the air in pretty much every snapshot of my life. At the point when I was 2 my folks were still attached and we claimed lodging in Yahk B.C. There was a tempest that had broken the front window at the lower part of the steps.
Speed Test