Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Any defensive bonus in case of Assault Combat?

ChuckB

The rules are silent about any defensive (terrain) bonus that may apply to Assault Combat. I assume this is intentional but I would like to confirm this.

The rules designate one side as the "defender", so this may lead to the application of a "defensive bonus" but I assume that designation is mainly done for the purpose of the retreat rules?

Thanks!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Well, there is that:

5.4.2 Infantry Bonuses in Cities/ Towns Infantry Assaulting (or defending against) any amount of AFVs in a City/ Town hex increases their Assault Factor by one and decrease their Assault Factor To-Hit number by one. Disrupted Infantry do not receive the bonus.

ChuckB

Well, there is that:

5.4.2 Infantry Bonuses in Cities/ Towns Infantry Assaulting (or defending against) any amount of AFVs in a City/ Town hex increases their Assault Factor by one and decrease their Assault Factor To-Hit number by one. Disrupted Infantry do not receive the bonus.

Thanks! I saw this very specific case but it looks like otherwise, no defensive bonus applies to an Assault Combat (although I'm not sure if that feels right, assaulting a unit in good defensive terrain should be more difficult than doing the same in the clear (but I remember that LnL Tactical does it the same way).

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
In Assaults there are NO Defensive bonuses applied. The units assaulting each other are both in the terrain together. Infantry get bonuses in special cases but only in certain cases against armor and against armor in a town hex.
Thank you
Sean Druelinger

Starman

Thanks! I saw this very specific case but it looks like otherwise, no defensive bonus applies to an Assault Combat (although I'm not sure if that feels right, assaulting a unit in good defensive terrain should be more difficult than doing the same in the clear (but I remember that LnL Tactical does it the same way).
Remember this is a platoon game and known dug in units can be more vulnerable to close assault , so extra cover is cancelled by the lack of mobility while in cover. Infantry vs Infantry fairly even vs Tanks having a restricted field of fire/traverse , if buttoned and even worse if unbuttoned more vulnerable.

Hence the only Modifiers being infantry in Towns/cities add lack of mobility to height from cover advantage and short range highly effective AT weapons , like grenade bundles , modern compact explosive charges etc.