Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Assault on Vierville advice

banania

What's the optimum placement for American troops in Assault on Vierville? They keep being destroyed by the German! Help! :D

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I suspect it is not as much your initial placement as your game play. I'll let others give you some hints, 'cause I'm in a hurry but if your question is still around next Friday, when I come back from vacation, I'll try to give you some advices myself

Thommygunner

I know that I am late to the party, but I believe Stephane is correct. With that said though, I will describe my standard set up.

I try to deny the Germans from taking an occupation hex, as that gives them four more squads and two more mg's to your one squad, hero, bar and major tom. I place as follows:
F5- 2-5-4/6
H4- 2-5-4/6
I5- 1-4-4/6
J5-Cpl Medrow

There is not set place for the sniper. Pick a location based after most or all the Germans have entered and that will help cover the streets by the closest occupation hex.

The Germans cannot enter either occupation hex on turn one. I hope to forego opp fire in most cases on turn one. Once the german player has commited most of the troops, move your american units that do not have LOS to cover the approaches to the occupation hex. If the german is massing for dealing with H4, instead of an occupation hex, move H4. Make sure they pay to cross the street in front of the occupation hex.

With this set up, the MMG is out of play in a western entrance, however, I feel this set up allows for the most flexability. That being said, you can't let a 7-1 leader with 2 squads with mg's just walz right into H4 from the north, you have to take that shot when you see the whites of their eyes.

If you don't like that its not until turn 3 that the mmg can move, then move the half squad to J5 and give the mmg to the half squad. My original description gives four possible attacks, if needed, by letting the corporal man the mmg. But if the mmg is shooting, you will probably be able to reposition the squad from F5. Also, if I have the half squad and mmg in J5, I will pull the squad from H4 back to I5 in the set up. Again, you want to be flexible and stop the push on an occupation hex on turn two

Any set up can be picked apart, so game play is key. Unfortunately, lady luck has a seat at the table also.

Good luck!