Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Battle for Caen scenario - Charnwood / Skirmish at Carpiquet Airfield

Bie

One more for the Battle for Caen scenario pack: Charnwood.

Operation Charnwood precedes Goodwood by about a week and a half and sees the Allies enter the north side of Caen up to the river Orne. This one should be quite a slugfest with mostly infantry forces. I'm just about done with the map. Check it out.

Cean (Carnwood).pngThe full map

Caen north in rubble.png The north of Caen in rubble after the Allied bombing raid

Carpiquet Airfield.png
Carpiquet airfield to the west of Caen.

Bob Hanna

Bie:

It is great to hear that Charnwood is your latest project. It makes sense that you could also include Operation Windsor, the Canadian 8th brigade attack on Carpiquet (July 4/5)which led up to Charnwood.

If I could make a suggestion for a future project which interconnects with these scenarios it is the series of battles fought by the British in the same general area. Operation Jupiter (July 10/11) was the first effort to push out from the foothold over the Odon River created in Operation Epsom in June. Its objective was to capture Hill 112 which was a critical location with visibility all over the Caen valley. It was not successful. Later Operations Greenline (July 15-17) and Pomegranate (July 16-17) were launched with similar objectives (and similar outcomes) several days before Operation Goodwood. Finally, Operation Express (July 22/23) was also unable to capture the hill. All these operations were extremely costly for both sides.

In addition, they were clearly all interconnected. It is hard to understand the role of 2nd Canadian Inf Div in Operation Atlantic without seeing the impacts of Operation Greenline and Pomegranate which were occurring on their right flank.

Anyway, I would love to see scenarios for these operations. There is data on the i-net under "Second battle of the Orne"

Thanks,

Bob Hanna

I forget to mention that your initiative to map the rubble in Northern Caen from the pre-Charnwood heavy bomber raid is a great idea. If it is successful it could be retrofitted to the Goodwood scenario to model the damage from the Goodwood heavy bomber attack on Colombelles, the steel factory and Vaucelles early on July 18th.

Bie

Bob, indeed I plan on making a scenario for Operation Windsor. I've got the area of the battle and the OOB's already anyway so it shouldn't take that long to create. It would definitely flesh out the scenario pack a bit more and give it some more variety.

I'm not planning to create any more scenarios for the moment. There is indeed still lots of potential for scenarios, but that'll be something for the future maybe. I do want to make some more scenarios witch Canadian forces though as they are seriously under represented in Co2.

The inclusion of rubble was a last minute addition to the map. I wanted to recreate the completely destroyed part of Caen. Which would have been quite difficult to cross, especially with armour and motorized forces. It should be quite easy to put that into the Goodwood map. But first I'll have to do some testing if it actually is playable and does what I want it do do.

Bie

I've just about finished the Charnwood scenario and doing some testing. I've also immediately begun on the Carpiquet scenario. Due to its size and forces (all of which I already have) this scenario should be done in no time at all. I'll release them both quite soon in the 1.0 version of Battle for Caen.

Bie

The fine-tuning of the Carpiquet scenario is underway. I'm also still looking into sources for the German defenders, which sometimes seem to contradict eachother. As it stands, it is easy to overpower the Germans side and most of the time they will hand the Allies a swift defeat. I'll see if I can balance it a bit more before I actually release the scenario.

Anyway, here is a screen of the initial assault:
Assaulting Carpiquet Airfield.png

col.sanders

these look great Bie,I'm tackling these one at a time.thank You for all the effort really having fun with every new scenario,oh and Merry Christmas.

Reactions: Bie

Bie

Both scenarios Charnwood and Skirmish at Carpiquet Airfield have been released. With these scenarios released I've concluded all of the scenarios I thought of including in the Battle for Caen scenario pack, hence the 1.0 release.

Couldn't have timed the 1.0 release any better even if I wanted to. Merry Christmas to you all :)

panzerpit

What a nice Christmas present! Thank you Bie! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for all.

Reactions: Bie

john connor

Where is the pack, Bie, with all these up to date scenarios, estabs, maps, etc? Couldn't find it in the resources section.