Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Battle of Tretten scenario

Dordo

upload_2017-2-17_19-43-0.png

Tretten 1940

For my first scenario I took the battle of Tretten from a scenario of "Tiger unleashed" thinking about a simple battle ideal for a start.
Studying the events, however, the situation is complicated by giving me the idea for something more elaborate. And so it came to a semi-historical scenario adding some touches of my imagination.

General Briefing :

Once it became clear that the capital and Bergen had become indefensible, Norwegians decided to implement only delay actions to fold more
possible forces in the central sector along with the British forces coming from Andalsnes.
They thought that if the combined forces of Anglo-Norwegians were concentrated along the valleys of Gudbrandsdal and 0sterdal would have more chances
to delay the German advance towards Trondheim.
Along the first line the 148th Brigade had to be joined with the remains of the Norwegian second division in retreat while the British 15th Brigade was to help the Norwegian first division, which was not to fall back to Sweden but towards the north.
For the defense of the valley of Gudbrandsdal the beginning of the struggle had to fall on Tretten.
Although the location was not the best for a defense, the time could be right. Gave time to Bergen forces to arrive and the Dombas events, where the Norwegians had the better on the German paratroopers, gave some moral to tried Norwegian forces.
So I suggested the arrival of the 4th Norwegian brigade in good order from Bergen to threaten the left flank of the advance of Pellenghar to the north.

Luftwaffe air superiority was not under discussion : 8-10 strike/day - 50-60% supplies for allied units and no base at all for 148th brigade.
Norwegian HQ is isolated to avoid Gen.Ruge can be involved in front-line combat, as AI often does (!)

Good luck commanders !

I wish you all a few hours of fun with my scenario.

If anyone had suggestions or fixes .. I am available.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArFIe8_FUJN4knYd0zaURMvEL0In

Bibliography :

Geirr H.Haarr - The German Invasion of Norway April 1940 - Seaforth Publishing
Osprey - Campaign 183 - Denmark and Norway 1940 - Hitler's boldest operation
Ian Allan - The German Campaigns in Norway, Finland and the USSR 1940-45

http://hem.fyristorg.com/robertm/norge/norway_reference.html
http://niehorster.org/index.htm

View attachment 5036

Tretten 1940

For my first scenario I took the battle of Tretten from a scenario of "Tiger unleashed" thinking about a simple battle ideal for a start.
Studying the events, however, the situation is complicated by giving me the idea for something more elaborate. And so it came to a semi-historical scenario adding some touches of my imagination.

General Briefing :

Once it became clear that the capital and Bergen had become indefensible, Norwegians decided to implement only delay actions to fold more
possible forces in the central sector along with the British forces coming from Andalsnes.
They thought that if the combined forces of Anglo-Norwegians were concentrated along the valleys of Gudbrandsdal and 0sterdal would have more chances
to delay the German advance towards Trondheim.
Along the first line the 148th Brigade had to be joined with the remains of the Norwegian second division in retreat while the British 15th Brigade was to help the Norwegian first division, which was not to fall back to Sweden but towards the north.
For the defense of the valley of Gudbrandsdal the beginning of the struggle had to fall on Tretten.
Although the location was not the best for a defense, the time could be right. Gave time to Bergen forces to arrive and the Dombas events, where the Norwegians had the better on the German paratroopers, gave some moral to tried Norwegian forces.
So I suggested the arrival of the 4th Norwegian brigade in good order from Bergen to threaten the left flank of the advance of Pellenghar to the north.

Luftwaffe air superiority was not under discussion : 8-10 strike/day - 50-60% supplies for allied units and no base at all for 148th brigade.
Norwegian HQ is isolated to avoid Gen.Ruge can be involved in front-line combat, as AI often does (!)

Good luck commanders !

I wish you all a few hours of fun with my scenario.

If anyone had suggestions or fixes .. I am available.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArFIe8_FUJN4knYd0zaURMvEL0In

Bibliography :

Geirr H.Haarr - The German Invasion of Norway April 1940 - Seaforth Publishing
Osprey - Campaign 183 - Denmark and Norway 1940 - Hitler's boldest operation
Ian Allan - The German Campaigns in Norway, Finland and the USSR 1940-45

http://hem.fyristorg.com/robertm/norge/norway_reference.html
http://niehorster.org/index.htm
I played your scenario (as the Germans) and found it intriguing and challenging.

However, the game does not run until the end. I get a crash around the 1430 time of Day Two.

I also had a crash around the 1421 mark, but could get past that one by running the game at a slower speed.

The last autosave before the crash is uploaded.

Attachments

• Tretten Crash Autosave.zip
    101.9 KB · Views: 2

Dordo

I have the same crash ... :(

Often Command Ops has crashes without reason .. I play always my games saving every hour, (or also half), so when the game crashes I restart from the last save, I do a little changes to the orders of my units, and the problem is resolved !!!

Otherwise you can open a ticket to the support, but I cannot say nothing about it, I never tried it.

I have the same crash ... :(

Often Command Ops has crashes without reason .. I play always my games saving every hour, (or also half), so when the game crashes I restart from the last save, I do a little changes to the orders of my units, and the problem is resolved !!!

Otherwise you can open a ticket to the support, but I cannot say nothing about it, I never tried it.

I only got a crash on this scenario around a specific time in the game, possibly pointing more toward an issue with the scenario than the game engine itself.

I've had rather extensive play time with the game engine with other scenarios both for my own enjoyment and as part of a test. Other than issues that related to file structure be isolated and subsequently corrected during the testing, I and don't have consistent issues with crashes.

Dordo

I have finished successfully this scenario two times. Attached my last save.

I am sure, change the orders at least half hour before crash and the problem is solved.

113 views and only one has tried this scenario ? No others point of view ?

Attachments

• Tretten save.zip
    98.5 KB · Views: 3

Kurt

Hi Dordo , just played it as Germans , excellent scenario , no crashes or other issues . Even though I captured and held all the objectives early on and inflicted a 10:1 casualty rate on the enemy I only scored a draw !

Dordo

You are right Kurt, I know the problem but don't know the solution !

If you take a look to the final result of my game, that I attached in the reply to Jim, is the same thing ! And I known the enemy forces very well !!!

I am always green of this game and I don't understand how AI think, and the mechanism of the victory points is always difficult for my mind.

Another thing I cannot explain is that AI send in the first line fightings HQ and supply bases that I think must stay far from enemy.

If you or someone other knows how to correct, please feel free to use my files and post the solution.

Kurt

The AI needs fixing , it should not be sending HQ's , bases and artillery units in to attack like you say , that is not any fault of yours . I will take a look at the victory schedule for you and see where it needs tweaking .

Kurt

Ok I have made some changes to the victory schedule that should help . Objectives do not need to have victory points if they are there to assist the enemy AI , just a " priority " , either MINIMUM , LOW , MEDIUM or HIGH . Feel free to download my mod and study , ask questions also .:D

Attachments

• Tretten-Kurt-mod.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 27

Vancalten

Hello, I've just started your scenario and it's really nice and well made, I like the map a lot.

This is why I wanted to thank you and all the guys that are taking time to make scenarios for the community and specialy for guys like me, who lives in countries where it is not possible to buy something on internet if it is outside the country, of course there is always a way to do, but buying dollars at a high price in black market... etc, so thank you for your great job.

Another thing ! how do you make your maps, handmade or are you using some imports from other softwared ? I really want to be making my own scenarios, especially the north african front...etc, any tips ?

Kurt

Hi Vancalten , I can not take the credit for this excellent scenario , that belongs to Dordo from sunny Italy . All our maps are hand made using the " mapmaker " suite , we trace the maps over scanned originals , then we add in all the terrain details . Have a go yourself . The updated " mapmaker guide " will be out soon .

Vancalten

Yes I know, my thanks go to dordo for this excellent scenario and all the community scen maker.

And thank you for your reply on map making, it's getting sens for me now, I will try and work on it till the manual will be out

Vancalten

Hi Vancalten , I can not take the credit for this excellent scenario , that belongs to Dordo from sunny Italy . All our maps are hand made using the " mapmaker " suite , we trace the maps over scanned originals , then we add in all the terrain details . Have a go yourself . The updated " mapmaker guide " will be out soon .

Well...I tried or maybe I was welling to do, I opened the mapmaker than I asked my self how do I trace the maps over scanned originals ?

Do I need a scanned file in bmp or jpg, how can I import it on the mapmaker or am I totaly wrong.

Sorry to go out subject, maybe I'll create one.

Kurt

This is from the old manual / guide but it is still relevant ;
img001.jpg

Dordo

I was away for a lot and I read only now your thanks.

Many thanks to you especially to Kurt the best teacher.

I add only two words on the map, really it is hand made, the bitmap MapScan 0 is very useful.
I worked on a Google map extract but with a lot of fantasy to imagine how the landscape changed in almost 80 years !!
Then I discoverd a source where there is a lot of historical maps,

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

.. if someone is inspired ... we wait other scenarios !

Vancalten

I was away for a lot and I read only now your thanks.

Many thanks to you especially to Kurt the best teacher.

I add only two words on the map, really it is hand made, the bitmap MapScan 0 is very useful.
I worked on a Google map extract but with a lot of fantasy to imagine how the landscape changed in almost 80 years !!
Then I discoverd a source where there is a lot of historical maps,

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

.. if someone is inspired ... we wait other scenarios !

Believe it or not, I was just downloading some maps from this awesome library 5 minutes ago.

How do the Google map extract works ?