Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Beginner's question about moving HQ units

melmoth2

First up as a newbie I just wanted to say this has to be the best combat simulation I've come across - it's utterly absorbing and makes it extremely hard to go back to any of the other WWII games, apart from perhaps Combat Mission which I guess works on a similar premise but at tactical level. I'm surprised CO2 hasn't had more mention on The Wargamer and Armchair General sites though, bearing in mind how much they raved about the CO1 - or perhaps I've missed it. Anyway - a massive hats off to Dave and the team for such a brilliant game.

Anyway - forgive a dumb question - how do I move an HQ unit without having all its subordinate HQs also up stumps and relocate? I'm playing Americans over Njimegen as the allies and have my paratroopers holding onto defensive points round the south-east from Wyler down to Popenberg. The XXX Corps HQ just turned up and I ordered it to Overasselt. Every subordinate HQ then also replotted to move to the same area, when all I wanted to do was move the Corps HQ. Is there a setting to ensure that only the HQ unit moves, or must I order it first and then re-order all its subordinates to stay put?

Hammer757

Melmoth, I'm pretty new as well but have ran into the same situation several times, at lower levels. So far all I have come up with is to give the subordinate units separate in-situ orders. the problem with that is that they are no longer subordinate to the original HQ. Good question, I'm waiting for some real answers ;)

MarkShot

Generally, things go top down and you don't really worry about what the units in the command structure do individually.

Occasionally, back in the day of COTA I used to have trouble with an HQ taking the quickest path from reserve to an attack being secured. This could result in taking a longer route into enemy territory when what I wanted was shortest path behind the attack wave. I am not sure if this behavior as been corrected or not. That's about the only time I ever felt the need to move an HQ independent of its subordinates.