Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Behaviour of divisional artillery attached to brigades

crazy10101

If I attach a divisional level artillery piece to a brigade for, e.g., the purposes of timely support on defense, is the AI smart enough to leave the artillery somewhere in the backlines, far enough away that any likely enemy assaults are outside of its minimum range? Or will it do something silly and park it right in the middle of the defense, so close that it can't actually bombard assaulting units?

john connor

It will be after the next update, I think, since this is one of the issues the update addresses - 'basing' of longer range artillery. I'm not sure how attaching batteries at a lower level would affect things presently (or, indeed, after the update). Be interested to know. Experiment and let us know!

I know that I regularly see the AI properly basing Bn mortars, for example, back but within bombardment range, then using them to support attacks, but these are units where I haven't attached them elsewhere.

Under present code (prior to the shortly-coming update) then for an Attack order basing should happen, I believe, which means the HQ and support units (I assume including your attached Div arty) should base back from the attack and I would hope the AI will take into account min range when doing this. Not certain though. Be interesting to know, as I said. For a Move order, or almost any other non-Attack order, there isn't presently any basing code, I think. So if you attach Div arty to a Bn or Brigade and then give the HQ a Move order you would be in danger of seeing the arty leading the road queue. But that's what the update will address.

john connor

Thought I'd test it. This is with the Steam release.

I have attached the Divisional arty unit down in the bottom right corner (marked '4') to the Bn Hq marked '1'. This HQ has been given an Attack task into Manhay (marked '3') and you can see its line units already attacking (marked '2'). The attached arty unit has stayed put. It's in range to assist, though I didn't have time to wait to see if it did decide to assist. Perhaps unlikely in my little test as there are no enemy units at the objective except a base unit and I can't see the panzer HQ asking for help with that!

1.png