Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Bombard capability for (US) TD units (towed and tracked)

GoodGuy

lower anti-armor effectiveness (lower anti-armor RoF) for field artillery pieces which had two gunners - one responsible for vertical aiming and another for horizontal aiming - which made these guns difficult to aim at oblique fast-moving targets (like tanks etc).

On the 152-mm s.FH 18, the K1 gunner operated the lateral movement and announced the barrel elevation setting to the K2. The gun had a flywheel mechanism (a rather central mount, on the left side of the carriage) to adjust the elevation, so aiming was even faster than on the leFH 18 (with 2 regular wheels, on the left - K1 - and on the right - K2 -). The Russians captured several of those pieces and highlighted the gun's flywheel mechanism (and the suspension, the low mount design and the recoil damper mechanism - which was a hydraulic one inside a pneumatic one) after the GAU had conducted trials. There's some footage from the NA theatre where you can see how quick the aim could be adjusted.

GoodGuy

@GoodGuySo, with the removal of panoramic sight these markings would be the only mean to aim the turret horizontally and with the spirit level the vertical aiming would be possible (both with mil prevision) for indirect fire.
That makes sense. I can't remember how the Panther crews performing indirect fire actually set the elevation, I translated a detailed report of a Panther quite some time ago and posted it here on LnL, but I can't remember the details anymore, lol. I think they used outside angle scales, so the Russians just put the indicators/scales inside - with paint. :p I need to dig out my own post sometime, for the details, though.
Oh, and the scales/tables on/for Tiger reticles didn't support more or much more than 2400-ish meters, iirc, they increased the elevation incrementally (still using their math), for higher ranges (eg. ~3,000 meters to hit AT guns at Kursk), higher angles/distances were not supported by vertical mil periscope etchings like in the IS-2 , so I was being silly there (late here :p).

Last edited: