Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Building Adjacency

ThomM

I've gotten sideways on this rule interpretation after it came up yesterday in a Vassal game I was playing.

A Viet Cong squad is on the second floor of a building, with one American squad directly underneath them on the first floor of the building, and another American squad in an adjacent hex on the ground floor outside of the building.

Is it correct that the VC has LOS and the Adjacency firing bonus to the Americans directly underneath them, but not to the squad next to them outside the building?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Barthheart

Staff member
Yes that is correct.... well mostly. The VC has LOS to the Americans outside the building but no Adjacency.

ThomM

Yes that is correct.... well mostly. The VC has LOS to the Americans outside the building but no Adjacency.

Ok good - thanks Vance. I muffed asking the question as clearly as I could have , but it was the adjacency bonus I was tied up on. The Karma of Wargaming holds firm; I had been playing it incorrectly, but I lost that game anyway. As I should have.

Impugn that game! With adjacency the problem appears with what I call "double-hexes" (hexes with one printed notation - as 13J5 - but that represent two hexes - 13J5 DOWN & 13J5 UP -, such as multi story buildings and hexes with bunkers or caves). In this cases, I prefer to talk about adjacent units, instead of adjacent hexes, because units in adjacent hexes may not be adjacent units.

Note that while the VC unit on the second floor has LOS to the Squad next to them outside the building, that same VC unit would not have LOS to a unit next to them but inside the building on the first floor (as per 10.2).

ThomM

Impugn that game! With adjacency the problem appears with what I call "double-hexes" (hexes with one printed notation - as 13J5 - but that represent two hexes - 13J5 DOWN & 13J5 UP -, such as multi story buildings and hexes with bunkers or caves). In this cases, I prefer to talk about adjacent units, instead of adjacent hexes, because units in adjacent hexes may not be adjacent units.

Note that while the VC unit on the second floor has LOS to the Squad next to them outside the building, that same VC unit would not have LOS to a unit next to them but inside the building on the first floor (as per 10.2).

That's a useful way to frame it, Carlos - many thanks!