Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Bunkers - Hexes exposed to fire from inside

Ben2013

The rules state that units in a bunker can only direct fire along a line of sight traced through the front three hexes of the bunker. As LOS is traced through a straight line (and not like range which is traced through a series of interconnecting hexes or the forward arc of fire of vehicles which covers all the hexes in front of it), it would appear that there would be several "blind spots" (hexes) in front of a bunker (not in a straight line from the 3 front hexes of the bunker) that units in the bunker cannot fire at but which would be within the line of sight of units in the same hex but which not in the bunker. Is this correct?

Ben2013

Perhaps I am reading "traced through" too literally i.e. the LOS could be a straight line from the 3 front hexes of a bunker cutting through various hexes but not necessarily adjacent hexes starting from the front 3 hexes that run in a straight line?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
You have to trace LOS from the bunker hex center to the target hex center dot. If said LOS goes trough the three front hexes, you are fine.

What is not exactly clear for me is wether these three front hexes define a "covered arc" of fire akin to the one for vehicle but wider, or if it means that you can fire in an almost 180 degree arc from a bunker (almost because you have to exclude firing along the hexspines on both side of the bunker, as this is not firing through the hexes). I play it the latter, as it makes for less ambiguous games (and there is no mention of firing arc in the rules). A diagram would have been neat here

Last edited:

Ben2013

Thanks very much as usual for your guidance Stephane. I initially read the LOS rule for bunker as you have indicated in the first paragraph of your answer but what set me off rethinking this afresh was the way this was treated in a play through on YouTube for HOTN, which seemed to be tracing the LOS along straight lines of hexes each leading from the three front hexes. This did not make sense to me. I know that these playthroughs often contain errors, but this was quite an experienced gamer of LNLT so I had to rethink original my understanding.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Just remember that these are my rules interpretation. I've been playing LNLT for a long time but I might have played wrong for a long time too :)

Ben2013

I think your interpretation makes sense and is consistent with the rules as written (or implied). The LNLT rules generally make sense, as a result of which, sometimes they try so hard to be realistic that it becomes complicated and hard too remember.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Well, I went to the source (Jeff Lewis) and it appears that my interpretation was incorrect. The three front hexes define a firing arc, akin to the covered arc of a tank, only wider. And just then, of course, I remembered that, in past editions (3.0 and earlier) there were diagrams showing this.

Bunker.png Covered arc.png

Note that the bunker diagram does not means you can fire only on targets along a line connecting the bunker center dot to one of the three front hexes center dot, just like the covered arc of a tank does not restrict you to two row of hexes either, as it is clearely not the case in the more recent (and better) diagram now used for showing covered arc:

upload_2019-3-19_12-2-4.png

I guess a similar diagram for the bunker would clear up any possible confusion

Last edited:

Ben2013

Wow! Thanks for going to such lengths to clear this up! Certainly leaves no room for doubt now.