Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Can Weapons Teams Like AT guns be Towed in the Tactical Digital Version?

Heinrich505

I've searched the rule books trying to find if this is possible in the tactical digital version. The rules say that only MG teams and ATGM teams can be passengers, but then the rules note that some SSRs allow for towing of some weapons teams, and I would guess this means AT guns.

I've not found how this might be accomplished. I am trying to create a scenario in the Battle & Scenario Generator module where trucks are towing German 37mm AT guns onto the map. I am not having any luck figuring this out, so possibly this is not a feature in the Tactical Digital version of the game. If this can be covered via an SSR, I'm not sure how to make that happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
It's not a general rule, but there is an SSR in a Normandy scenario (Bridge at Chef du Pont) that does it. I just checked and the relevant flag is not accessible in the editor right now but I will put it on the to-do list, it is easy enough to add the checkbox when I get a moment.

The only extra thing I have to implement is that in Bridge at Chef du Pont the vehicle & team arrives from offboard and therefore the game enforces the team having to arrive on the vehicle. I have to add something to make them start on a vehicle if they are placed in setup instead of being a reinforcement. Or.... maybe not, maybe that is up to the player, start on the vehicle or start on the ground and cannot be loaded? Hrmmmm!

Heinrich505

Thanks for the info Tom. I am trying to have the AT gun team enter loaded on a truck as reinforcements from offboard, but somehow I'm not clicking the right buttons to make it happen. They are both showing in the reinforcement box, but I can't figure out how to load the AT gun team on a truck and then place them on the board. If loaded, they should appear on top of the truck counter, but that doesn't happen.

Heinrich505

Oh, perfect. Thanks very much.

Would there be a chance for a prime mover to tow the 88 FLAK gun be added to the game system in a future module? At present, the big guns like the 88 FLAK can't be moved and only use their MP to change the covered arc.

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
Today's build has the checkbox on the unit attributes list; "start towed".

Could a 251 halftrack be a prime mover? There's a few types of those scattered around.

Heinrich505

If the game will allow it, I'll certainly be "towing" my FLAK 88s with 251 halftracks. The 251 was probably the vehicle of choice to pull any of the lesser AT guns, with a truck picking up the slack if no halftracks were available.

The 88 FLAK guns had a dedicated prime mover which was a beast of a vehicle. The last few survivors in the movie "The Dirty Dozen" were making their escape on what certainly looked like the German Sd.Kfz. 9 FAMO. I'd say this would be a great addition to the game. If the 251 is all we have for the job, then it will be pressed into service.

Thanks Tom, having towed guns is really a great addition.

Heinrich505

Tom, I don't seem to be able to make this work. I've gone into the editor, marked the 37mm AT weapons team as Towed under the change attributes screen. Then, when I start the scenario, I can click on the 37mm AT weapons team and it shows as loaded (not towed), but if I click on a truck or halftrack, the box for Use Selected Units goes red and I cannot choose the truck (or a halftrack) to tow the AT gun. The game doesn't seem to be allowing me to choose the towing vehicle.

In the Change Attributes screen, there isn't anything I can choose for the truck to allow it to tow anything. It appears that the AT gun is marked for towing, but I can't choose a truck or halftrack to tow it.

I must be missing something, but I've no idea what. Any help is appreciated.

Compass Rose

Today's build has the checkbox on the unit attributes list; "start towed".

Could a 251 halftrack be a prime mover? There's a few types of those scattered around.
Kudos to you and the team on your response time in identifying and correcting game issues with frequent updates. It is very reassuring to see such a quick response time as I am not used to seeing game/scenario/series designers reacting so quickly. Your effort and desire to get it right is very commendable! Thank You!

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
Tom, I don't seem to be able to make this work. I've gone into the editor, marked the 37mm AT weapons team as Towed under the change attributes screen. Then, when I start the scenario, I can click on the 37mm AT weapons team and it shows as loaded (not towed), but if I click on a truck or halftrack, the box for Use Selected Units goes red and I cannot choose the truck (or a halftrack) to tow the AT gun. The game doesn't seem to be allowing me to choose the towing vehicle.

In the Change Attributes screen, there isn't anything I can choose for the truck to allow it to tow anything. It appears that the AT gun is marked for towing, but I can't choose a truck or halftrack to tow it.

I must be missing something, but I've no idea what. Any help is appreciated.

No, you're doing it right, I missed a spot in the reinforcement interface. Not sure why my first test even worked. :)

Anyway, should be fixed in the next build, sorry for the confusion!

Heinrich505

Tom, it's working like a charm. I had the truck tow in the 37mm AT weapons team.

I also tested having the 88 FLAK towed by a 251 halftrack - worked perfectly. The 251 halftrack can work nicely as a proxy if you don't plan on including an Sd.Kfz. 9 FAMO prime mover.

Thanks so much for this towing addition. It adds a lot of new dimensions to game play.