Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Changing the sequencing of the game

maitrebongo

The work you have done on the porting of the Lock'n'Load Tactical boardgames to the digital version is just great. I really feel the same way when I play on my computer as when I play on the paper versions.

Nevertheless, the sequencing of the game turns which is a real plus when playing with a human opponent in real life is more complicated to manage on the computer during a hotseat game (obliged to physically change chair every 2 seconds) or even during a game against the computer.
Indeed, when you play on your computer, you are used to playing all your units and then, when all possible actions have been performed, handing over to your opponent. This makes the dynamics of the game more fluid and allows you to concentrate on the action as a whole without having the impression that time is fragmented.

What I propose (I have no idea if this would be easy to implement or very complicated) would be to be able to choose (as an option for example) if you want each opponent (including the AI) to play all his actions before passing the hand to the next.

I am well aware that some of us might find this a crime compared to the original game (where this sequencing is the trademark), but I ask them to consider my proposal sympathetically: It is for the good of the game. I think that this option might bring in new players more used to the traditional system (play all your actions and then pass to the next player) who might be put off by the current system.

I tested this option by manually passing when it was my opponent's turn to play until I used up all my actions, then the same for him. The scenarios I tested didn't seem that different in outcome than playing them with the usual sequencing.

If you think this suggested option is easily achievable, I think it would be a real plus to attract new players and offer a different game experience, while keeping the magical gameplay of this game.

Thanks

Maitrebongo

nelmsm

I for one like the current sequencing. I can see where it might be a problem playing hot seat but playing solo it gives it an air of tension when it comes to decision making. Do I fire now or wait kind of thing.

maitrebongo

Hello to all,

I take advantage of the imminent release of Second Front and the opportunity I was given to try it out to come back with my suggestion to allow the player to play ALL his units in a specific phase and only then to switch to the opponent.
This is how it is played in Second Front and the test I was able to do confirms that the feeling of fluidity is greatly improved and the effect of continuity in the tactical maneuvers is well felt: one does not lose the sense of the strategy that one wanted to deploy in this turn with the multiplication of the comings and goings between the opponents (specifically against the AI)
Really, this would be a great improvement that would open up this game, I'm sure, to players who don't necessarily come from the original Lock'n'Load boardgames base.
I still don't know if it's technically difficult to add an option that would allow this modification, but I really hope it will happen someday.

maitrebongo

I take the liberty of referring those who are interested in the subject to the discussion thread that takes place on the Steam forum because I find that we address arguments and counter arguments that seem to me to advance the debate.

Wiggum

I think this would change the whole game way too much. I have no problem with the current sequencing.

You can of course use the setting that will only interrupt the opponent when you manually click a button. Doesn't this basically do what's being suggested? I'm a newcomer to this game and i did find the constant automatic stopping to see if i wanted to fire or not to be quite annoying at first, mainly while deploying reinforcements, so i changed it in the settings to only stop if i manually clicked the opportunity fire button. This meant that i could just let it play without constant interruptions, and if i did want to interrupt i could still do so by clicking the button.

I've since got more used to the default settings now and am happy enough playing that way, but i mean, the manual option is there already isn't it?

Wiggum

Yes, you can use the manual button press to stop and do OF. That's already in the game.

But the initial suggestion was to completely remove the Impuls system which would be a massive change and I hope this never happens

Yes, agreed. I'm just not sure why the OP needs to remove it completely when they can just set it to manual and just not hit the button!? That would cause the game to play out without the impulses, which is what they want isn't it? Maybe I'm just missing the point. I just don't see the difference.

Barthheart

Staff member
The OP wants one player to move all their unit BEFORE the other player can move any on theirs. Not switch back and forth for each unit/stack activation the way it is now. Many "Old School" games do this and it's call I go, You go or IGOUGO for short. I'm from that era. It has it's place but LnLT was designed with alternating impulses and would not work in that manner.