Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Check Point Calvi Vassal Edition [ Downloadable ] - With permission from Ln'L!

Rydo

BAM BAM BAAAM.

I've worked on that for a few hours and after a good work or resizing, "coding" and cutting i'm almost finished in bringing to you the famous module made by the Master himself Mr.David Julien!

This module is somewhat hard to discover because is not present here but only on BGG in the old Heroes of the Blitzkrieg files section.

He also updated it with professional artworks.

This is one of the many little Ln'L gems that lies out there that new players may not be aware of!

Old grognards would probably know it and already played but if you ever wanted to play this module but you were too lazy to print, cut and assemble the content necessary now it is the time to get it!

It is almost ready as some other works are to be made but the module is working.

Need to code the map hexes and some other bugs!

Keep this thread in your watch list if you want to know when its ready.

If you now me, you know that I'll never post a thread like this without immages! Big ones! Let's go!

ppp.png
This is the re-elaborated one to give a taste!

And for the non-believers ( are you? ):

pl.png

And the GIGANTIC map ( 6 maps togeter ), assembled, with overlays already on ( you don't even have to work a little bit, just load the module and play! ) heavily scaled down ( the original size was 11500x5000 resolution! ) :

pppk.png

Bam!

--------------------
Now...here are my concerns : The scenario description states that this is property of Mr.Julien so i think i should have his permission? ( I know him on facebook, i will ask ASAP with an apology :) ) and my last one is the map itself. It looks like original artwork but also it looks Hexdraw one. I need to check that too as i don't think i can upload it if that was the case. Either way, there is someone in the Ln'L team that can update the maps or at least provide me some tools to make them myself? :)
--------------------

BTW the vassal file is almost complete.

I'll slap a scenario or two extra using the Nam Maps just to give the right amount of respect to this gem. Little ones, just as i like, fast to play and to set up.

See you, Rydo out.
--------------------

Edit One :

I think i will turn this scenario into a proper mini-module. I'll put the rules and all well formatted in a module booklet, then I'll remake the original scenario description, create an updated TEC that will contain both Tic# and Nam# terrain modifiers and I'll expand it with a couple of scenarios just to enhance the whole thing.

This will be a formal unofficial fan module! No more a forgotten scenario into an old edition of another time period game entirely!

Special Edit Rules
Eliminate "I think" from the beginning of Edit One sentence.

--------------------

Update #1:

I got big new news for you! Do you remember i stated that i needed the permission from Artist David Julien? Since i'm in constant touch with him, i asked him if i could make this thing and all and HE GAVE ME the permission! So it is OFFICIAL, this module will be done!

Also the Master himself ( David Julien ) helped me, providing me with updated counters and better scaled maps!

Today i worked on the general bugs, modified the credits, deleted unnecessary files, reworked the vassal interface completely ( kinda ) and now i'll do the maps.

After that I'll work on the TEC and remake the scenario card to make it compatible with the other ones that will be added.

A picture of the new interface alongside new counters that i made to make it more of a unique module than an expansion.

Untitled.png

I'll have to remake all the skillcards and mini skill counters ( that will take time ) but as of now we're proceeding well.

I've decided the name of the module : La Force Licorne.

See you.

--------------------

Update #2:

Ok guys, i'm back after some time and i've not forgot at all about this project. There are some changes and decisions that were made that i need to tell you:

First of all the module is almost done, skillcards counters are made, the terrain effects chart is in game and can be seen with just one click, all 6 maps from the mini-module are mapped correctly and works togeter.

I just need to figure out the overlays and it is basically done. Here, take a look at this:

kokokokok.png

Now i'll ask David Julien if he can make a resized scenario card so that it will be too visible in game.

Last thing to say is a bad one, because of time constraints i cannot work on the redux module i wanted with expanded scenarios etc. I'm sorry for that but i don't have that much time to give a proper release of a redux version, i'll just make the standard one and i also think its better than nothing :(

Module name is back at the original wich is CheckpointCalvi.

And thats all for today guys, see you!

--------------------

Update #3:

We're gold guys! The whole project is finished!

I've added everything and more, you can play the full scenario ingame and you don't need to reference outside of Vassal. There is the terrain effects chart ingame, the whole scenario card ingame, all the six maps are coded right and they already have the two overlays on and all are togeter as one big map, skill counters have modified immages to give a much more original feeling, the wreck counter is unique, the acquisition counter too and even the turn track is original with french/rebel counter.

I've modified the user interface deleting what i tought was unnecessary, the credits are original and also the vassal file description and ingame too...basically all is there!

Even if i'm fully excited for this work that i've made i have to give the proper credits at who deserve them:

- David Julien for the original idea of the scenario, he made the artworks for the units and the maps too. Also he provided me with the right-size maps and overlays and also he updated some wrong counters, without him this would have been much more difficult to make, thanks David!

- The creators of the Ln'L vassal module. I've modified the already present heroes of the nam module, so in a sense, without the work of the guys behind the original vassal module heroes of the nam this would have been EXTREMELY more difficult to make.

- Me. I'm proud of myself for this. I've made all the mini-buttons, some new markers and rewrote the scenario card to make it readable for the vassal engine and i've also tried to correct as many errors in the scenario words as long as updating some SSR and i've also modified the event by giving it a much more cinematic feel.

I want to say that i've just corrected issues but i've not modified in any way the scenario rules or balance. The scenario you're about to play is the same that you will find in the pnp version, just with corrections and on vassal :)

Thats all. Thank you for have read and followed this, i hope you have fun with this one, Vive La France!

cc.png
--------------------
cc2.png
--------------------

Rydo Out.

--------------------

Project finished!

Its done, i've received official permissions from David Heat to post this module!

I've done my part, now its your time to get boots on the ground and taste Ivory Coast, good luck!

--------------------

Download link: https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lockn-load-tactical-check-point-calvi-vassal-edition.229/

--------------------

Another project done...up to the next one, at once!!

A small hint..."civil war"...

Last edited:

Nick DelCorpo

really looks cool and I always thought that was a cool conflict. With Jackal, Libya, Ivory, and Somalia we have quite the African War? and all modern. The thinking I i understood from David was maps they can create all day long, counters are a little more difficult. With that in mind he would like to get more then 1 use per sheet of counters, which I think is brilliant. But not having it totally modular, with sheets being sold separate, from maps, from scenarios, etc... I think there is so much you can do with this system but there has to be a why because adding just to what M. Walker had lying around is kind of losing its luster. We have yet to have a box titled independent of the man. Not knocking him at all or his very similar system, but I'll stick with LnL-T. We are at a junction, go historic more with a bit more chrome, or be combat commander heavy.

Rydo

really looks cool and I always thought that was a cool conflict. With Jackal, Libya, Ivory, and Somalia we have quite the African War? and all modern. The thinking I i understood from David was maps they can create all day long, counters are a little more difficult. With that in mind he would like to get more then 1 use per sheet of counters, which I think is brilliant. But not having it totally modular, with sheets being sold separate, from maps, from scenarios, etc... I think there is so much you can do with this system but there has to be a why because adding just to what M. Walker had lying around is kind of losing its luster. We have yet to have a box titled independent of the man. Not knocking him at all or his very similar system, but I'll stick with LnL-T. We are at a junction, go historic more with a bit more chrome, or be combat commander heavy.
If i'm not mistaken Grenada will be the first ( ? ) Full module made without Mark, am i right?

BTW Nick, i just found a tool that made me O.O it is called tabletop simulator, as of now is on sale for 9,99 instead of 19 and let you create all boardgames you like.

There is one guy that just made starter kit one from ASL and it looks awesome!

After i finish this project i think i'll move on tabletop to see how to do stuff.

Lock'n load...in 3d...on pc. I'm not saying more. I'll see if its easy to program there ( even if its hard who cares ) and i'll do stuff for ln'l on there. I'll go with starter kit too.

We can also play online on that game. Check it out!

Nick DelCorpo

Table top simulator is spectacular and someone already made heroes of the pacific for it, If David was smart he would pay the [programmer to do all the games like that and sell them for 20-30 bucks along with the simulator. Maybe work out a deal with the Table Top Simulator company to take over or permanent rights for the engine for LnL-T games only. The heroes of the Pacific version on T.T.S. is AWESOME! I'll pick it up for 9.99 and we'll do that. the module for pacific is free i'll send you the link when i find it

Last edited:

Stefano G.

Very interesting...LnL style maps and Skill counters are certainly welcome!:)

Rydo

Really nice ! Thanks ! May it be possible that you also release a TTS version ?

Hi Mirabelle! :)

I figured how to permorm batch processing on multiple files, so making a TTS version should take 2.5 - 3 hours of serious work. I can do this and make it ready for tonight, i think that if i received permissions for the vassal module i also have them for a TTS one.

Would you like to have a TTS version of this too? If so let me know and i'll start it today. :)

Bye!

Rydo

Ah yes ! Would like it ! I tend now to prefer TTS over Vassal.

Thanks a lot !
Then I'll try my best to make it for tonight! At max for tomorrow it will be avaible! :)

We can also play togeter sometime, maybe on this scenario!

See you!