Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

CO2: Using HQ units to attack

AdmSteebe

Hello all. First time CO2 gamer, long time admirer and finally playing and enjoying it immensely.

I was a US Navy sailor and current naval warfare sim player (Harpoon, Silent Hunter, CMANO) so ground tactics are a bit new to me. Historical naval conflict has taught us that loosing the Flag Ship, Command Vessel, etc was detrimental to success of the mission and I was wondering if using HQ units in CO2 has any impact on game play.

Thanks again for what is developing into a great game.

Steve

Hello all. First time CO2 gamer, long time admirer and finally playing and enjoying it immensely.

I was a US Navy sailor and current naval warfare sim player (Harpoon, Silent Hunter, CMANO) so ground tactics are a bit new to me. Historical naval conflict has taught us that loosing the Flag Ship, Command Vessel, etc was detrimental to success of the mission and I was wondering if using HQ units in CO2 has any impact on game play.

Thanks again for what is developing into a great game.

Steve
If you are from the military, you know that the efficiency of a unit is dependent on the quality of the commanding officer and staff.

Command Ops has taken the time to define and quantify those personnel quality and management attributes which affect a commander's and staff's ability to command and control.

Both the ability to maneuver and perform combat operations are impacted by the quality of the HQ unit assigned the task.

Rather than try to summarize the attributes here, I'd suggest you read about the CMD (command) information on the Force Data Display for HQ units (pg. 142 of the Game Manual Ver 1.1).

Bottom line is, individual units will always attempt to perform an allowable task from the orders display, but if the order is passed through their higher HQ unit first, they receive bonuses in the efficiency with which they perform those tasks, and that unit is appropriately staffed and trained (attributes built in by the scenario designer) to handle the mission.

One thing to keep in mind in playing Command Ops is that the game is designed as an operational level simulation, meaning the combat is not necessarily controlled most efficiently at the individual unit level, but as assignments to a task group operating under a designated HQ unit (battalion, brigade / regiment, division, corps, etc.).

AdmSteebe

Rather than try to summarize the attributes here, I'd suggest you read about the CMD (command) information on the Force Data Display for HQ units (pg. 142 of the Game Manual Ver 1.1).

This was an excellent section to read and very helpful. Thank you for the information.

Steve