Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Combat Powers not showing correctly for modified ESTAB

papymaj5

Hello,

I opened a separate thread for this issue.

The way I made my estab was just adding weapons, vehicles and forces, not replacing existing ones. I noticed that when I play a game with this modified estab the combat power number in game goes to 1 for the majority of units, allied and axis. I compared the original xml to my modified one and nothing was wrong with the xml configuration.

Below is a picture of the default tutorial with the default units with the modified estab. These unit's specific estab had not been changed, only added others that were not in the game.

Any ideas?

untitled-jpg.4503

Attachments

• BFTBEstab - Copy.txt
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
papymaj5, I'm not sure what you think is wrong. Can I have a specific instance please - ie show me unit that had a combat power of one originally,; show me it's new estab and then show me the combat power for it after the change. Please also note that combat power is a relative value. To get a "2" value you have to be twice as powerful as a unit with a value of "1". Similarly to get a value of "3" you have to be twice as powerful as a "2".

papymaj5

Hi Dave, please see the instance in my first post. The picture is from the tutorial scenario after initial loading with the modified estab. The units in that scenario are the same units by default and the force estabs for those units had not been modified. Per your instructions in the estab manual, I only added weapons, vehicles and forces to the estab. I didn't modified the existing ones, so I can still play existing scenarios.

I attached an image that shows the the original estab with the correct combat powers and local toe (original.jpg). As you can see B.51 Mech Inf has a combat power of 3 initially but with the new estab (Modified.jpg) it is now a 1.

If you take the txt from this first post, change the file type to xml and run a compare xml to the original xml, you will notice existing records were not modified and their are new records.

Original.jpg
original.JPG

Modified.jpg
Modified.JPG

In addition to this, if I were to use my added units in a scenario you can see I get combat powers of 1. C 1/37 Tank Co has 9 M1A2 Abrams Tanks and has the same combat power a FJ Inf Company.
Modern.JPG

Let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks again Dave!

Attachments

• ModernEstab.txt
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

papymaj5

Hi Dave, hope you and your family are doing well. Have you had an opportunity to look into this?

Happy Holidays.

Jon

Hi Dave, hope you and your family are doing well. Have you had an opportunity to look into this?

Happy Holidays.

Jon
Your answer is in Dave's original response.

Combat power is relative to all units on the field, and the power is rated by an order of magnitude comparison among those units. Means a combat power of "2" is twice as great as any other unit with a combat power of "1" and a combat power of "3" is twice as great as any other unit with a power of "2", or four times as great as any other unit with a power of "1."

In addition, the combat power rating varies based on modifiers for matters such as supply availability, fatigue, experience, training, morale, cohesion, leadership, and manpower among others. If you watch the game, the combat power for a unit varies as the are unit is stressed in combat or denied the opportunity to rest and regroup between combat or movement episodes.

And, if I recall correctly, if weapons are added to a unit, the addition does not necessarily increase the unit's universal combat power unless sufficient manpower to operate those weapons is also added to the unit.

simovitch

Jim, I don't think that answers the OP's concern. It looks like all he did was add some weapons, vehicles, etc. to the stock estab file, but when he modified the tutorial to load this new estab file, forces that shouldn't have been effected by his changes are showing different strength values.

Unfortunately I can't compile his new estab to check things without also getting the images he added, unless I go through each of his new weapons and vehicles and click "no image". Not willing to do that so I'm stuck for now.

Jim, I don't think that answers the OP's concern. It looks like all he did was add some weapons, vehicles, etc. to the stock estab file, but when he modified the tutorial to load this new estab file, forces that shouldn't have been effected by his changes are showing different strength values.

Unfortunately I can't compile his new estab to check things without also getting the images he added, unless I go through each of his new weapons and vehicles and click "no image". Not willing to do that so I'm stuck for now.

You're right.

I read it as adding weapons and vehicles to existing forces.

papymaj5

This is exactly what I did. Just added to the stock and played the original tutorial and I get the weird combat powers. I zipped up the file and images for you if you want to test yourself. I have compared the modified and original xml with notepad++'s compare feature and they are identical besides the additions I added.

Attachments

• ModernEstab.zip
    1 MB · Views: 1

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Richard,

Just zip a backup of your Estab file and the corresponding Images directory. You should then be able to compile and test out what's happening. Afterwards, you can unzip your backup and authorise it to replace the existing files. That should work fine.

papymaj5

Hello, I know there are other things going on right now, just wanted to bring this up again since there is testing happening.