Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Command Ops 2 Map Maker Manual

Command Ops 2 Map Maker Manual 1.0

TMO

Can additional features be designed in the map maker, say, barbed wire and antitank ditches as the game is currently designed? I know mine fields are currently out of the question.

Regards

Tim

simovitch

I made dragon's teeth for the Bulge scenarios, so they can represent antitank ditches I suppose. The maps are made up of thousands of 100m grids. Only rivers (line entity) and major river/lakes (area entity) can ensure that movement is completely "wiped out" along the entity. For example, a unit can cross a stream or railroad without any penalty as several (invisible) locations. I had to make the dragons teeth graphic wide enough to ensure that movement across them was completely blocked. This is a pain to do, because you constantly have to compile the map and use the wheeled movement tool to check that wheeled units cant cross the graphic.

hubee0

Isn't the MM manual included in the free game download? If it's not I don't think it should be posted here.
I certainly didn't buy the core engine. I installed it from Steam around September last year and the MM manual was then included. Maybe subsequent updates or standalone version don't contain it, but the manual WAS available for free. If it was unintentional, than it is publisher's mistake and I don't think the manual should be made "secret" or payable now.

hubee0

Only rivers (line entity) and major river/lakes (area entity) can ensure that movement is completely "wiped out" along the entity.
Why? Foot and motorized movement factor can be defined for any layer in MM. If one sets it to 0% for let's say marsh terrain, then such terrain cannot be crossed during gameplay. Am I incorrect?

I certainly didn't buy the core engine. I installed it from Steam around September last year and the MM manual was then included. Maybe subsequent updates or standalone version don't contain it, but the manual WAS available for free. If it was unintentional, than it is publisher's mistake and I don't think the manual should be made "secret" or payable now.
The manual is neither "secret" nor "payable" now.

If it was erased during an update, either Steam or a user error caused the problem.

I've kept my CO 2 up to date using the Steam utilities, and the manual I got with the first install remains in the proper folder -- never erased and still fully usable.

Why? Foot and motorized movement factor can be defined for any layer in MM. If one sets it to 0% for let's say marsh terrain, then such terrain cannot be crossed during gameplay. Am I incorrect?
You're right.

But, then, the layer you redefine upsets the standards for the other games in the pack unless you create a new terrain model for the specific scenario where you want to change the movement factors.

Simovitch, the most skilled developer on the team -- author of most of the commercial scenarios you play and editor of all -- is referring to the standard terrain model.

simovitch

I don't see a problem with posting the manual here, I just thought it strange if it was available for free elsewhere.

You can make a marsh terrain with 0% for motorized but the entity you draw has to be large enough (>100m+/- across) to negate the movement, otherwise it blends with nearby terrain effects and the 0% becomes 5% etc. only rivers and lakes will stop movement with even the smallest of entities. That's why if you place roads too close to them your road movement rate could be totally negated.

People are experimenting with <100m but I don't think that will matter, it just means you have to draw >60m if your map grid is set to 60.

hubee0

You can make a marsh terrain with 0% for motorized but the entity you draw has to be large enough (>100m+/- across) to negate the movement, otherwise it blends with nearby terrain effects and the 0% becomes 5% etc. only rivers and lakes will stop movement with even the smallest of entities. That's why if you place roads too close to them your road movement rate could be totally negated.

People are experimenting with <100m but I don't think that will matter, it just means you have to draw >60m if your map grid is set to 60.
That absolutely makes sense for me. Thank you.

Tainster

Can additional features be designed in the map maker, say, barbed wire and antitank ditches as the game is currently designed? I know mine fields are currently out of the question.

Regards

Tim
Hi Tim,
I redefine the DYKE setting as an obsticale, reset the height and apply an appropriate movement factor.