Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Command Ops 2, Return to St Vith Tutorial AAR part 1, pages 1-30

Command Ops 2, Return to St Vith Tutorial AAR part 1, pages 1-30 1.2

MarkShot

Interesting I used to be the sponsor for the French language support thread over at Matrix. It turned out that France still has popular print gaming magazines. One of them being PC4WAR; the series was very favorably reviewed there. Also, I had a French-Canadian friend who was very helpful with games issues and French support.

Yes, I am familiar how resources just pop-up. I have been playing GTOS; a most excellent product ... both as a game and a quality piece of computer code. Despite the Russian developer having an English forum, the real English community hangs out on STEAM. I signed up for the service and paid $5 USD for posting rights; even though I do not like STEAM and do NOT run the client.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
I'm afraid the geek wargaming (you know what I mean by that) community is very small in post-Soviet area (for a number of reasons). Even while there are some quite developed boardgaming communities, gamers playing CmdOps are kind of unique. The entire CmdOps translation and promoting, in particular, is driven by just 1-2 guys (and I'm not among these). And the actual number of known players is like 10-12 people I think. (At least that's what I'd expect, basing on the activity at those few Russian wargaming forums.)
So, while I wholeheartedly agree that English is a must have for any geek wargamer, I'd gladly invest a couple of hours to translate Daz' AARs because: a) they are just awesome and b) any number of neophites attracted - even if that's just 1-2 - would be a difference there, especially on the verge of the EF release.

MarkShot

I am playing at this very moment. I have to say this is the most amazing engine out there:

(1) Scalable such that you can play at any level you like.

(2) Is what really managing large projects is like.

(3) Handles the time dimension unlike anything else.

But still the BG and BG PC clones is what predominates. This engine is all about what you can do with computer when it comes to warfare simulation which you cannot do with a board, counters, dice, and a rule book.

Daz

Daz, do you keep masterfiles for your tutorials, with the possibility to replace the text (and keep all the graphics as it is)? Would it be possible in future to send you the translated text, so that you could just replace the original one and thus render Ukrainian & Russian versions of AARs?
It'd be nice to promote the CO and your AARs a bit next year (about the EF release).

The master files are inside my InDesign document that links to Illustrator and Photoshop images.
Changing the InDesign text in the text frames shouldn't pose any problem, but if the translated text is considerably longer than the English equivalent, I may have to scale the font size down to prevent overflow.
I think it would hardly be noticeable though so I can't really see a problem with it.

Daz

This is very true. I purchased CO2's bundle over the holiday break after discovering Daz's tutorial because someone linked to it in another forum. It is truly a feast for the eyes,...a work of art in AAR composition.
Welcome to the forums CTH.
Glad you enjoyed reading it and that I helped you discover one of the best operational war simulations out there :happy:

Daz

Back to reading your AAR. I like the tip with unexpiring move end points for ATGs. I've never done that, in fact, I never move waypoints to circumvent order delays. There have been some players who will do a lot of waypoints such that they can simply change the route of a force on the fly. (I have regarded that as kind of a game loop hole myself. But as I am an SP kind of guy ... it's whatever makes me happy.)

Moving the ATG's or any other unit using the 'un-expiring move end points' is not an exploit mate.
It causes an orders delay (replan) as you are moving the order location.
It just means less clicking of the mouse and constantly having to dive into the edit task dialogue.

Also the moving of the Intermediate Waypoints is a legit technique, as per game design listed in the manual.
The trick here is to estimate how fast your troops are moving, and the orders delay to only move the waypoints that they wont have reached before they get their new orders, otherwise things get a bit confusing.

Extracts from the Game Manual:

Changing an order location ( ObjLoc ), or the FUP of an Attack/Probe , will always cause a replan.

Intermediate Waypoints
can be moved without causing a replan – so if you are looking to bypass any resistance on a Move, or during the Move to the FUP phase of an Attack, it’s a good idea to plot the route using waypoints every 1000-2000m and send a single unit to scout ahead. When the scout discovers enemy defences, you can move the waypoints to bypass the enemy. You can also add and delete waypoints without incurring delay – as long as you don’t change the order location or attack FUP in the process.

Daz

I just realized you are not playing with NATO symbols. G*d bless you!

They have been giving me grief about this for 15 years now. Bil --- you know real men play with NATO symbols! :)
Well I'm sorry to say I actually prefer NATO ones, but I use stylized counters in my AAR's so that 'boys' like you can understand what is going on :joyful: :banhappy:

Daz

I like your style. In many scenarios, the designer gives you a trail of bread crumbs to follow. But you made your focus the prize rather than pecking along like a chicken!
Those scenario designers are crafty so-and so's you know!
One of the first things I look for in a new scenario is that big fat 'Red Herring' they dangle in front of you, to make sure I don't fall for their traps :smug:

Have you played the Elasson Rearguard, in the Foothills of the Gods Pack, playing as Axis yet? ;)

Daz

How do you get the game map overlaid on Google Maps 3D? I also like the period photos.
  • First I take a screenshots of the in game map then stitch them together in Photoshop.
  • That then goes into Illustrator to have the map graphics added then export it to a .jpg
  • You can then overlay the map in Google Earth using the overlay options.
  • It actually takes quite a bit of fiddling with to get it right and its very rarely perfect so I try to concentrate on the center of gravity and get that as accurate as possible ignoring somewhat the outer edges.
  • The biggest problems I have found is when the towns and villages have different names to the ones in Google Earth because of translation I guess, and when the map is not orientated north, so needs skewing round.

Daz

Page 22: What's the difference between specifying REST=MAX and issuing a REST order? Thanks.
I have found very little difference between Rest = max, norm and min.
It maybe just a few hours of more or less rest at night.
When you give the Rest order however, you can guarantee that they will rest as soon as the order reaches them even during daylight hours.

A disadvantage of the Rest order however, is that you can't cancel the rest as quickly as you can with Rest = max, norm, min as the former is subject to an orders delay where as the latter is not.
This can make quite a difference if your units are subjected to a surprise attack.

Daz

If it would not be too nosy to ask. What is your professional background? Are you a marketing or graphic artist professional?

Well I have a military background as an Observation Post Assistant for 8 Battery 29 Commando RA, where I then went on to specialize as a Naval Gunfire Assistant in 148 Commando Forward Observation Battery after completing the Parachute Regiments 'P' Coy course.
http://www.eliteukforces.info/148-Battery/

I also got my Blood Wings with the 2nd ANGLICO in Camp Lejeune in 88, on an exchange course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Naval_Gunfire_Liaison_Company

That was a long time ago now, since I came out in 1990 I have run my own small tree surgery/landscape gardening business.
I am completely self taught in regards to the graphic design elements. In fact, Dave and the other guys that have been on here, and the Matirx forum, for the last four years have watched my progression in that regard :shame:

Its just a hobby at the moment, but I may have to slide into doing it professionally one day, as I am starting to get to old for the Tree Surgery business I'm afraid :(

Daz

(1) You talk about Move with Min Loss. As far as I know this parameter only impact behavior on a PROBE or DELAY. Otherwise, it triggers messages to the player.

I'll try to address the majority of your questions tomorrow, because some of them, like the one above, I need to find the discussion where Dave has commented on it, in order to give you the right answer.
We had a discussion on this very topic recently, but I cant remember what he said exactly.

We should start a thread with all his game play related answers in it.

Here is the history I have on that.

When RDOA was introduced in 2000 that parameter affected everything. But players complained about the AI simply deciding to halt an attack on its own, when you could see that you had the momentum in your favor. So, Dave changed it to be informational as opposed to behavioral for most things.

As an order has a million parameters with multiple phases, about 7 years ago I was pushing Dave to publish a spreadsheet that indicated what phase each parameter applied and how. (Obviously, a lot of work.) What we have now, is some of that covered in prose in the manual. {This was when there were 50% fewer parameters and less sophisticated orders like DELAY.} The other thing which Dave did I think in response to my request is to discuss what actions result in replans. (And I think there is now a chart showing for one example exactly how the delay is calculated.)

Thanks for the info Mark.

This was the thread I was looking for that relates to this topic here:
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/daves-words-of-wisdome-compiled-by-daz.2389/

Last edited:

MarkShot

Elasson Rearguard?

I must have played that in COTA as a beta 20+ times or more as the Allies (defender)?

Why?

Well, there was an issue with the AI being insufficiently aggressive. Thus, Dave began work on an aggressiveness patch. So, how do you test such a thing? You play the same scenario over and over again.

The manual says you cannot manually blow a bridge. I reached the point that I had an 80% success rate at getting the AI to do it when I wanted. How?

* You have noted that the AI tends to fail when it is suppressed.

* So, you need a reverse slope or a shadow zone to make the 1 or 2 defenders feel secure.

* Lack of reverse slope is usually not a problem. If no reverse slope, then place a road block far enough up the road that the bridge and defenders are not visible. (This is your artificial reverse slope; shadow zone. When darkness falls, pull them back.)

* When a huge enemy column comes charging down the road, but don't have a long LOS and lead time, they will not suppress the defenders.

* Now, when the defenders see that they are guaranteed to be overwhelmed, they simply blow the bridge.

And by G*d, they succeed too! :)

MarkShot

Well, you are the most artistic tree surgeon/landscaper, I have ever met.

You would have been rolling in cash here this August. We got hit by the worst typhoon they say in 20 years. There were trees and damage all across the entire island. I was here by myself without electricity, running water, and land/cell service for four days. It was not even possible to reach the PD or FD. My landlady's garage collapsed on her 1 month old new car; better the garage than her house as I would have had no way to save them. Took more than 24 hours to figure out a way to contact my wife.

Daz

Play Elasson Rearguard as the Axis if you get time and let me know how you get on ;)

MarkShot

I might have been the Axis. I don't recall. I just remember I was the side who was withdrawing and the enemy in hot pursuit.

I've actually just 10 minutes ago finished my season of pool on the Local Tour (Straight Pool). I am moving up to the Regionals next season! :)

MarkShot

You know we often talk about physic engines for war games, but the physics on this game VP4 (virtual pool 4) is really good. How do I know? Because the three classic books I have by Robert Byrne that cover pool are about the real game, and all the subtleties he teaches seem to show up just fine in the simulation. So, if one wants to talk about physics modeling; this is the game. :)

Eric

Phenomenal work Daz. It must have taken you tons of time and effort to make. I appreciate the effort.

I was just now looking for something that might give this noob a little direction and from the looks of it I was pointed to the right place.

Reactions: Daz