Command Ops Magazine/pdf

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by Daz, Dec 11, 2015.

?

Is my idea for a Command Ops magazine similar to my St Vith AAR a:

1. BAD IDEA

2. GOOD IDEA

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MarkShot

MarkShot Member

2. Sigwolf

Sigwolf Member

It was down for more than a week, but seems to be back now. No new content, though.

3. Winstons

Winstons Member

Daz, I came across your AAR report after a break from Command Ops - it is fantastic and one of the most well produced things I've seen for the game. The thoughtful explantions of why you do certain things with certain units is a wonderful source of information for new players. I think an irregular newsletter would be a great idea.

4. MarkShot

MarkShot Member

Almost makes you want to go enlist! (Well, I said "almost")

5. Kurt

Kurt Member

6. JArraya

JArraya Member

Daz - I'm glad I could help with such a great product. If you need a proofer for the magazine count me in. For free ;). Just send it my way.

Daz likes this.
  7. Daz

Daz Member

Sorry I went a bit quiet on you guys.
    I had some personal stuff that needed sorting and needed my complete attention.
    I tried to stay away from the forums because I knew It would distract me.

I also upgraded my Computer and the transition didn't go very well I'm afraid.

One of the problems I needed to solve was how to get around the reliance on Google for the 3D views of the maps.
    I think the 3D maps was a major contributing factor in my St Vith AAR, that made it visually appealing.

Well I'm happy to say that I have worked out a way to make a 3D display of the terrain, without using Google Earth.
    Its a bit of a workup, but the results are starting to look promising.

The process involves opening the scenario in the Map maker application that comes with Command Ops 2, then turning off all the layers except for the elevation contours.
    Next I remap all the contour textures to shades of grey, the highest elevations being lighter and the lower darker.
    This makes a Depth map, that after a good blurring in order to blend the adjacent shades of grey together, so as to smooth out the contours, can then be loaded into Photoshop 3D as a new mesh, depth map to plane.

Its not as detailed as draping a map over Google Earth, because the terrain between the contours is just interpolated rather than geographically accurate but it is a lot more accurate in terms of mapping the valleys and heights.
    This is because when you drape a map over Google Earth its very difficulty to get the whole map accurately positioned on the underlying ground, where as the method I have worked out maps the highs and lows very accurately to the game map, meaning the rivers are in the valleys where they belong and not flowing up and down the hills.

Still lots to do before I am in a position to start on a magazine though I'm afraid.
    3D Hofen.png

8. Kurt

Kurt Member

Looking great Daz

9. Daz

Daz Member

Thanks Kurt.
    This is a 2d shaded relief map of the Manhay map.
    As you can see, I still need to do a bit of work on getting a smooth transition between the contours.
    Manhay Shader Map.png

10. rocketman

rocketman Member

I would love to play on maps that look like that. Excellent work :)

11. john connor

john connor Member

Looks nice, Daz. But it exaggerates how that part of the world looks in reality. Is that what you intended? I know the area very well. The landscape is low rolling hills. I don't understand how it can come to look so severe if you mapped the highs and lows accurately. Maybe the contour shading and ridges just make it seem like that. See pics below, photo on road from Manhay to Grandmenil and vice versa from street view.

manhay to grandmenil.png

manhay.png

12. john connor

john connor Member

I guess its something to do with the way the shape and shading of the contours cue your impression of scale. Maybe it will be ok if you blur out, somehow, the steps between each contour?
    Looks like the start of an FCRS map at the moment. Lol. Those are nice maps in that game too, of course.

Peter

13. rocketman

rocketman Member

Two things come to mind:
    First, maybe lower the brightness and darkness respectively for the elevation changes to smooth it out and make it look less steep.
    Second, does this way of mapping take the "slope factor" in map maker into consideration? Here, each level/plateau looks flat until it reaches the next elevation change which causes the change to look more dramatic and less gradual.

14. Kurt

Kurt Member

Fantastic !! As a potential playing aid this is just what I desire , its hard to judge the relief in CO2 when the map is covered it woods .

15. Daz

Daz Member

Great feedback, thanks guys.

I am just experimenting at the moment and playing around with the different options.
    Here is a smoother version.

16. rocketman

rocketman Member

Cool flyby. That would be a nice feature in the briefing for a scenario.

17. Daz

Daz Member

This is about as smooth as I am going to get the 2d shaded relief map with my current technique.
    There is plenty of scope to add deeper shadow, sunset effects, different levels of ambient light etc. though.

Edit: It actually looks a bit flat to me.
    Looking at the shadows under the village names I probably had the light to high in the sky.
    I'll set the light lower next time so that shadow gets cast onto all the reverse slopes.

Manhay Flyby1.png

#37 Daz, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  18. Kurt

Kurt Member

We have to have this , in some form , its brilliant .

19. Rob

Rob Member

I couldn't agree more!! It IS brilliant! :jawdrop:

Rob.

20. Daz

Daz Member

I have been reading up on using 3d objects inside video to create components and scenes for my AAR's.
    The software applications I have are not the right tools for what I had in mind and just creating this 3d arrow and rendering it in the scene has taken a ridiculous amount of time.

It's back to the drawing board I'm afraid.
    Manhay Arrow.png