Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Command Ops Magazine/pdf

Is my idea for a Command Ops magazine similar to my St Vith AAR a:

• BAD IDEA

• GOOD IDEA

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daz

Now I have managed to negate the need to use Google Earth and the copyright issues that entails, to drape the game maps over in order to get the 3D effect, I have turned my attention to the WW2 images.

I have just spent the day researching copyright of WW2 images. My head in now spinning and I still don't feel any closer to understanding the complexities involved.

I have tried to get my head around this subject before.
As you know I have posted ww2 images on the forum, and come to the conclusion that as I was making no money from doing so, and only posting images that were cited as being in the public domain I would have no problems.

Using these images for commercial purposes or monetary gain, which I would be if I do the Command Ops Magazine I have in mind, is a completely different kettle of fish.

For instance, I was hoping that I would be able to use images from the Imperial War Museum as most Crown Copyrighted images taken during the second world war are now copyright expired.
"Any Crown Copyright photographs taken prior to 1 June 1957 both published and unpublished are Crown Copyright expired and are now therefore Public Domain."
(see this discussion here):
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...-world-war-photographic-images-and-copyright/

However its not that simple!
(see this discussion here)
http://forum.keypublishing.com/show...-Copyright&s=beca6621e50749a03975f449c1ab3375

I could go down the route of purchasing the images from sites such as the Imperial War Museum but they range from £10 to £35 per image which doesn't seem to bad until you read that for commercial use you then need to buy a licence as well!
The price of which they won't even list unless you contact them, as I imagine its probably quite extortionate.

Also their terms and conditions are extremely restrictive, which don't fit my needs at all.
For instance:
"ensure that you do not adapt, manipulate, alter, crop or amend the Information in any way that changes the original;"
This restriction completely goes against what I have read about works that are in the public domain, which is;
"You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission. See Other Information below."
Then when you read below you step into another minefield!

The work may not be free of known copyright restrictions in all jurisdictions.
  • Persons may have other rights in or related to the work, such as patent or trademark rights, and others may have rights in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
  • In some jurisdictions moral rights of the author may persist beyond the term of copyright. These rights may include the right to be identified as the author and the right to object to derogatory treatments.
  • Unless expressly stated otherwise, the person who identified the work makes no warranties about the work, and disclaims liability for all uses of the work, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
  • When using or citing the work, you should not imply endorsement by the author or the person who identified the work.
So as you can see I am stumbling at this point and bearing in mind the limited sales this publication will get in its niche market I don't have the resources to spend on WW2 images that should be in the public domain anyway.

If any of you guys thinks you can find a good source of WW2 images at a reasonable cost that can be used commercially please let me know :confused: