Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Consistent crashes plus other feedback

ru_disa

Hello, I'm an old CO:BftB player and I was really looking forward to buying the all-in-one theater pack. After messing around for a while with the new engine, though, I'm having some reservations.

- First of all, and worst of all, the game crashes consistently after I play for a while.
- The engine is a lot slower, compared to CO1. It really doesn't perform well on my system (I understand that a solution is in the works?)
- In CO1, whenever I assigned a mission a mission to a formation, a window would automatically pop up and I could modify the parameters of that mission; now, I have to assign a mission, right-click on the mission icon, select Edit Task and edit the parameters. This can cause some aggravation, as the mission icons are quite small, and if you mis-click and de-select, then you have to first select the unit again (oh no, wait, it was a different unit! and so on...), the view will center on that unit and you will lose sight of the mission icon, if you're not zoomed-out far enough, etc.
It may sound like I'm nit picking, but the new system for editing tasks really spoiled my enjoyment of the game. I think that the Edit Task screen should pop up immediately when I set up a mission (as it was in CO1)...
Additionally, I think that it should also be possible to Edit Taks by selecting a mission in the new Plans Window.

I like the fact that you can split and re-arrange the interface as you like, though. And I'm looking forward to checking out the new Africa theater. I'd really like first to see some improvements on these issues, though.
Any help with my crash issue would also be appreciated. My specs:

Laptop: Win 8.1 (64 bit), integrated chipset AMD A10-5750M
Desktop: Win 7 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-920, nVidia GTX 560 ti

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hello, I'm an old CO:BftB player and I was really looking forward to buying the all-in-one theater pack. After messing around for a while with the new engine, though, I'm having some reservations.

- First of all, and worst of all, the game crashes consistently after I play for a while.
Please raise this in the Game Support subForum and please describe the events that that occur prior to the crash. We need to be able to get it to repeat. So a save along with the steps you tyake to get it to crash would be most helpful.

- The engine is a lot slower, compared to CO1. It really doesn't perform well on my system (I understand that a solution is in the works?)[/quotre]
Fixed in build 5.0.8 which is now with LNL and should be released very soon.

- In CO1, whenever I assigned a mission a mission to a formation, a window would automatically pop up and I could modify the parameters of that mission; now, I have to assign a mission, right-click on the mission icon, select Edit Task and edit the parameters. This can cause some aggravation, as the mission icons are quite small, and if you mis-click and de-select, then you have to first select the unit again (oh no, wait, it was a different unit! and so on...), the view will center on that unit and you will lose sight of the mission icon, if you're not zoomed-out far enough, etc.
It may sound like I'm nit picking, but the new system for editing tasks really spoiled my enjoyment of the game. I think that the Edit Task screen should pop up immediately when I set up a mission (as it was in CO1)...
You can achieve this by leaving open the first Task Edit window. Then when you issue another order it will automatically update the already opened Edit Task window with the new task's data. In other words it performs exactly as it did in CO1 but with the flexibility of being able to reposition it and open additional Task Edit windows. Note that this only works for the first Task Edit window. Additional ones don't update. This same behaviour applies to View Task And Force Data dialogs.

Additionally, I think that it should also be possible to Edit Taks by selecting a mission in the new Plans Window.
Good suggestion. It's already on the wish list as seen in the Feature Request subForum.

CaptEggman

We need to be able to get it to repeat. So a save along with the steps you tyake to get it to crash would be most helpful.
I'm with you, Dave. I've worked in the software industry all my life and I get that bugs that can't be reproduced are not really bugs at all. But like ru_disa, I assume, I have a hard time doing that. The game just CTDs after a while for me, too. Not at the same place, not after a particular action. Last night the game ran, I clicked on a mortar unit to see its mission and it crashed. Restarted and was spared for another 20 minutes and then crashed not touching anything.

It's just a bit wonky. Logging would help, maybe.

ru_disa

Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah, I know that just sayin "the game crashes" is of no use... It was a bit of a shot in the dark, really. I just wanted to see if there was anybody with consistent crash issues. As soon as I have time, I'll try to take a more clinical approach and send you everything I find.

Keep up the good work!