Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Continuous movement and acquiring

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Should vehicle that opt for continuous movement (rules 15.5) get rid of any Acquired marker because they are, in fact, in movement, which is one way to remove an Acquired marker?

Jeff Lewis

Not until it leaves the hex it is currently in. In the time-continuum thing you would think the ordnance that fired on the tank would still be tracking it in that hex after it fired it. It would lose the acquiring after it left the hex as per normal. But the fact that it has opted for continuous movement cancels the acquiring marker's effect on the OFT.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hum...maybe it is my incomplet grasp of english showing here but my reading of your answer Jeff is that the tank on continuous movement would keep the marker until it actually start moving but would suffer no effect associated to it (if, for example, it get fired on by the acquiring weapon before actually moving). If so, why keep the acquired marker?

Jeff Lewis

I think the confusion here is about the marker type. My response was based on an Acquiring marker, from a unit firing at the moving tank. If that's the case, my answer stands. (Apologies, I'm very tired.)

If you are talking about the moving tank that itself has fired after assault move, then yes. But wouldn't you want to stay and finish the job on the target? It's a tactical choice and depends on the circumstances, of course. But if you choose continuous movement, yes, the Acquired marker would be moot. However, in Falklands and Heroes Against the Red Star, with Modern Vehicle AM you could fire first and then move, so you would want to keep the Acquired marker.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Let me explain it better. Tank A fire at tank B, which has just moved. Failing to destroying tank B, a Acquired marker is put on said tank B. In the admin phase, tank B elect for continuous movement. What happens to the Acquired marker. Does it stay with tank B, allowing tank A to fire with all acquisition benefits at the begginning in next turn, provided tank B is still in the same location (aka did not take an impulse to move BEFORE tank A)?

Jeff Lewis

Yes, the Acquiring +1 stays until Tank B moves out of the hex, just like my original answer. But it's a net wash on the OFT since the Movement (-1 on OFT) cancels the +1 Acquiring.

My opinion here (house rule for me I suppose) and remembering I only game WW II no vehicle in motion can acquire a target, the weapon systems weren't up to it. Even the gyroscope systems on Yank tanks only worked in 1 dimension (vertical) from memory.

Going a step further no AT weapon without a fixed mount can acquire a target either i.e. bazooka, panzerschreck etc

Happy tank hunting!

Jeff Lewis

My opinion here (house rule for me I suppose) and remembering I only game WW II no vehicle in motion can acquire a target, the weapon systems weren't up to it. Even the gyroscope systems on Yank tanks only worked in 1 dimension (vertical) from memory.

Going a step further no AT weapon without a fixed mount can acquire a target either i.e. bazooka, panzerschreck etc

Happy tank hunting!
The tank is the target in the case at hand.

RightyO! Here's my house ruling on the target if acquired and moving, as long as the firing tank/SPG/ATG gun does not have to rotate its turret or change facing to keep the acquired target in its firing arc the acquisition stays on the target even if moving...gives continuous fire at the same target a bonus :)...