Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Contour lines

verdugo94

Is there any way to put contour lines in the map? It will help a lot to positionate units and maps frequently have them :)

Daz

Contour areas, with their own fill colour, are on the game maps, but the ability to include individual contour lines as far as I know is not.

Here are some relevant extracts from the map maker manual that you might find interesting:
Contours.jpg

john connor

If you draw the map yourself it's easy enough. I would strongly recommend map making (either imaginative, invented, or tracing real world battlefields or areas) using the mapmaker. It's very engrossing and great fun and so satisfying when you see your product finished, as detailed and beautiful (or not) as you would like it to be. I have in my head to do Goodwood, once I can get some good sources for the map, detailed enough to use, and providing I don't have to make the OOB myself (Haven't learned that yet). Sometime, when I get time.

verdugo94

Thanks jhon and Daz for answering but i am not talking about the editor, i explained myself in a wrong way, excuse english its not my main language. I was talking about a hypothetical option to put contour lines in the map while you are playing.

No idea

Thanks jhon and Daz for answering but i am not talking about the editor, i explained myself in a wrong way, excuse english its not my main language. I was talking about a hypothetical option to put contour lines in the map while you are playing.

Afaik, there is no way, but it would be great. A map with contour lines and better colours to indicate height would do wonders to let you know with a quick glance how steep the terrain is and where are the good hills to position your troops (basically, where there is a good los)

No idea

I'm finding the LOS cross section tool is vastly superior to the old CO1 tool.

Agreed, but that doesnt mean it couldnt be better.

For example, such a simple things as better colours would make the LOS interface more intuitive. Instead of the reds, browns, yellows and nothing (and some other colours) we now get (and are a bit confusing to know which one is better for your situation), I think you would get a clearer "picture" of LOS if colours were in a sequential scheme. This is, take one colour (lets say, bright red) and make it that to mean the best possible LOS, and then the second best thing is depicted by a darker red, and so on. I think sequential is more intuitive AND easy to spot at a glance, something very important in a game where you have to work with lots of info.

The very same could be said about colours that indicate height, for example.

And contours to indicate steepness would be great. Now the only way to tell is clicking all the time in particular places.

*budd*

I keep google earth open with the battlefield tour loaded and set to whatever scenario i'm playing and alt tab back and forth to get a good perspective of the terrain. I wonder what plodder could do with the maps if his talent was applied to them. I certainly don't need 3d but a map you could tell the elevations better would be nice. Alt tabbing back and forth from google earth certainly gives you a perspective that the maps are lacking in elevation contours and the severity of some of the wooded terrain.

Kurt

your on to something there budd , I like your thinking

*budd*

here's a sample from Hofen Ho Down. The battle field google earth tour makes it easy to see the terrain with the map over lay and without.I just alt tab back and forth. I highly recommend the google earth battlefield tour from BFTB.

Screen%20Shot%2005-09-15%20at%2001-vert_zpsiqsnevyg.jpg

ewilkie

As a temporary solution, a transparent overlay of contours that could be turned on and off would help, even if the contours were just the boundaries of the map layer elevations, as it is difficult to distinguish the slight variation in color depicting elevation in the presence of forests.

Kurt

here's a sample from Hofen Ho Down. The battle field google earth tour makes it easy to see the terrain with the map over lay and without.I just alt tab back and forth. I highly recommend the google earth battlefield tour from BFTB.

Screen%20Shot%2005-09-15%20at%2001-vert_zpsiqsnevyg.jpg
How do I access that ? sorry I am a bit crap with computers

*budd*

*budd*

yea, i forgot to look in the discontinued games section. Last time i went to it, it was in the WW2 section.

john connor

Anyone still got the files for the google earth battlefield tour? Can't find it on matrix now. Thanks.