Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Critical Hits / Malfunction

CombatOZ

Did someone thought about critical hits and malfunction on "to hit" rolls for ordnance?

I really love this stuff...it adds alot of tension and story moments in a game.

I will try out something like:
Double one to hit roll is a critical hit: roll 2d6 for firepower attack.
Double 6 is a malfunction: vehicle/wp/unit becomes shaken.

Maybe you guys have already tried out some ideas?

Cheers
OZ

Hi OZ,

Critical hits are covered in the damage check dice rolls already after a hit is scored, 14.1 last paragraph on page 36 (v4.1). If the attacker rolls a damage die of 1 and the defender a damage roll of 6 the round is a dud on the reverse it’s a catastrophic hit and the target is destroyed ignoring the actual attacker/defender totals.

Will your rule replace the above?

Let us know how your trial goes, thanks!

Have you played ASL this rule sounds very ASLish.

No malfunction rules that I know of are in the rules except the J ‘flag’ for a few MGs what are you proposing there?

Cheers!

CombatOZ

Hi OZ,

Critical hits are covered in the damage check dice rolls already after a hit is scored, 14.1 last paragraph on page 36 (v4.1). If the attacker rolls a damage die of 1 and the defender a damage roll of 6 the round is a dud on the reverse it’s a catastrophic hit and the target is destroyed ignoring the actual attacker/defender totals.

Will your rule replace the above?

Let us know how your trial goes, thanks!

Have you played ASL this rule sounds very ASLish.

No malfunction rules that I know of are in the rules except the J ‘flag’ for a few MGs what are you proposing there?

Cheers!

Hi Captain Darling,

Yes you are right- I come from ASL camp ;-)
I thought about to replace the original catastrophic rule- since I think the effect to call it catastrophic (as a game rule) is very low.

When I roll a 1 in defens and a 6 for attack- the result should be "target destroyed" even without "catastrophic" rule. I mean the chances are VERY LOW to attack someone where i already know that I wont do any harm beside of catastrophic hit.
Rolling snake eyes on to hit and giving you 2d6 for the attack should give hopeless weapons also a lucky hit.
Malfunction for rolling double 6- getting shaken status- is something I thought to represent "panic, gun jam or they drop the shell by loading the gun" just a temporary shock effeckt that something wrong did happen.

I am currently testing- but I didnt roll any snake eyes or box cars in ordnance shots yet.
It happens so low that it should not really hurt the system at all.... just add more tension.

Cheers
OZ

“When I roll a 1 in defens and a 6 for attack- the result should be "target destroyed" even without "catastrophic" rule. I mean the chances are VERY LOW to attack someone where i already know that I wont do any harm beside of catastrophic hit.“

Unlike ASL not getting a kill with a hit on an AFV is not the end of the story due to the non penetrating hit morale checks (this rule is not in ASL well at least the last time I played it).

Interestingly if there are no other targets available I will often fire ‘pop guns’ at strong armour with no chance of a kill (except of course maybe with a catastrophic hit) as just getting a hit with a good damage roll can cause a morale check and a chance of a shaken or even abandon vehicle.

I look forward to your further testing, we’ll stick with the rules as written at the moment they give us enough tension.

Cheers!

Last edited:

CombatOZ

“When I roll a 1 in defens and a 6 for attack- the result should be "target destroyed" even without "catastrophic" rule. I mean the chances are VERY LOW to attack someone where i already know that I wont do any harm beside of catastrophic hit.“

Unlike ASL not getting a kill with a hit on an AFV is not the end of the story due to the non penetrating hit morale checks (this rule is not in ASL well at least the last time I played it).

Interestingly if there are no other targets available I will often fire ‘pop guns’ at strong armour with no chance of a kill (except of course a catastrophic hit a hit) as just getting a hit with a good damage roll can cause a morale check and a shaken or even abandon vehicle.

I look forward to your further testing, we’ll stick with the rules as written at the moment they give us enough tension.

Cheers!

Hey ho Captain,

you are totally right!
I forgot about the "Moral Checks" after a hit without cracking armour. At least there is a chance of vehicle shaken/crew abandons beside of hoping for a catastrophic hit. Fantastic!

Thanks for reminding me!
OZ