Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

D-Day Airborne

john connor

I fancy this next. A lovely custom scenario by 'Ubiquitous'. I've tinkered with it a little - mainly replaced generic stats, fortified and entrenched front-line Axis units. I added an Allied SEP, though the scenario is so short - around 11.5 hours - that it will likely not be needed, but I wasn't sure what would happen if there wasn't one in there. I'm still unsure of the consequences of having no allied base on the map for so long (in terms of the engine), though we'll just have to see.

Until dawn I have 4 Bns of crack para infantry. At dawn the terrible landings on bloody Utah begin. By then I am to have secured crossings across flooded areas behind the beaches and secured, at least, the perimeters of a wider beachhead area. I will stand a good chance of winning, I have decided, if I can take and hold four objectives.

1.png

2.png

john connor

I have run it through a few times, full speed, in fact, as I messed around with the stats (in scenmaker), to try to get a good rough play balance (meaning, on full speed, without much care, I get a draw, whichever side I play, suggesting I could do better if I took my time....). The reason I'm doing this is because, as it was published, there were many units with generic stats, all the same (Ubiq did say he was going to change this at one point, but didn't, it seems), and I like the units to at least look like they're individuals, as it were, each one a little different. Plus I wanted to really make sure the paras looked 'crack' (though not too ott 'crack') and see how they could do against a stronger force. Interestingly (and perhaps obviously) the only stat that really made a diff at that crude level was the 'strength' stat, which determines how large each unit is (percentage of notional full compliment) at start. If I set all the Axis at 100% then I lose this scenario as Allies each time (full speed, basic orders etc), but if I take the Axis down to around 70% (with a 10% random modifier - so individual units could be as low as 60% of compliment, or as high as 90%, or anywhere between) then I get that draw. So I will play it set up like that.

I wish there was a way I could get the total numbers in each force at start. I haven't figured out a way. That would make it easier to balance, at a basic level.

The map graphics are interestingly different, no? Much nicer than just having everything looking the same but labelled 'bocage' or 'hedge' or 'orchard'. I like them, though they're a little different. Each 'field' doesn't represent an actual field, of those actual dimensions - just an area of that type. But they give you the idea quicker. Ubiq has done a great job on this, I think.

Last edited:

john connor

Lol. Doh.... Thanks Dave. Sorry about that. Still, it was a very quick way to add a great feature!

john connor

Both scenario and map by Ubiquitous. Get info etc over in the old, dead, Matrix forum thread, and in his blog, as Daz has said above.

His version 1 map was really nice too. Using the stock textures (I think - I don't actually now anything about map making...), it looks more like what we're used to:

Ubiquitous Version 1 Carentan:

3.png

Version 2:

4.png

john connor

5.png

What I intend to do for this AAR - when I get round to starting it - is play it through twice and post the results of both runs. First time I will run through full speed giving minimum orders (around 15 for the entire scenario) and see where that gets me. Then I'll run it properly, taking my time, slow speed, giving as many orders as necessary, to try to better the quick results. It may be that I still haven't got the balance right, that I've now set it up so it's too easy for the human as Allies. We'll see.

john connor

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!!!!!!!!! Don't look at the next picture if you might want to play this without knowing how the Axis looks.

6.png

Last edited:

Daz

Sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into this one mate.
Will be interesting to play it, once you think you have it balanced.

john connor

Haven't had any time to do this for a while now. Might get some more now. However, after much tinkering, I'm beginning to think I might prefer to play the original scenario, unadulterated by me.......I have run it through several times and it's very hard the way Ubiquitous has set up the points distribution, but it's also very clever. Difficult to get a decisive victory, but maybe that IS how it should be. It gives you a hard fight against the AI.

john connor

1.png

Google earth images will not be so interesting, as the landscape is flat and from street level all you see are the famous tall hedges....

7.png

john connor

Sainte Marie Du Mont will be one crucial area for me.

3.png

In 1944 there was a large flooded area between the beach you see in the distance and the town. I haven't been able to find a picture of it. But this below is a picture of la Fiere causeway further to the north on Utah beach:

11.png

john connor

9.png

Through the crucial parts of my scenario it was, of course, pitch black;

But this pic below is of an area flooded in 1944:

8.png

john connor

I'll run through it quickly now, on full speed, giving minimum orders. Partly because there's been a slight debate about the game being boring because the AI can do everything. So I'll let the AI do as much as possible, see how it does, then try again playing properly, slowly.
MY plan (again):
1. Take Exits 1 and 2. Hold until 7.30am.
2. Take Ste. Mere-Eglise. Hold until scenario end.
3. Take the Canal de Carentan crossing. Hold until scenario end.
4. Take Sainte Marie Du Mont. Hold until scenario end.
5. Take and hold Utah Beach (when amphibious assault troops arrive there).

The first 4 objectives fall to elements of the 101st Airborne - the Screaming Eagles. I have 1 Bn from the 501 PIR and 3 Bns from the 506 PIR.
12.png

john connor

Initial dispositions:

2.506 to take Sainte Mere-Eglise

1.506 to take Exit 2

3.501 to take Exit 1

3.506 to take Exit 1

The Engineers - who land in the 3.506 DZ - will be sent sth to probe the Carentan canal crossing and if possible hold it until I can release a Bn from one of the Exit points to reinforce them.

That's phase 1 of the plan. Phase 2 - when the 8th Infantry regiment arrive on the beach - I'll have to think about.

13.png