Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

D-Day Airborne

john connor

20.png

I give 2 more orders.
1. I reissue the attack order to 1.506, no FUP specified.
2. I order 1.8 off the beach and to attack the same Exit 2 causeway.

But with one hour to go these orders will not get through in time....

john connor

23.png

4 more orders to try to get attacks on the Canal, St. Come du Mont and St. Martin de Vorreville, with the intention of denying the Axis possession at close. But not sure there's enough time left.

john connor

And they didn't. They surrendered minutes later.

So. This is what 13 orders and a heavy reliance on the friendly AI got me.

26.png

Personally, I think that's REALLY impressive. It's what I said I was playing for. A draw. 64 VPs each - so definitely a balanced scenario!! And all with only 13 orders, nearly all to Bn HQs.

But, in other ways, it's a poor show. 8IR haven't really got off the beach. We only secured one causeway. We didn't get the Canal crossing, to seal the southern edge of the beachhead. Etc.

Tomorrow I will start to play it through more carefully, slower, giving more orders, posting more details of individual units. Surely I can get a marginal victory if I'm more hands-on in my command style? We'll see.....

Daz

This is extremely interesting mate.

I noticed the 1.506 attack marker is right on the edge of a large expanse of water, with a very long bridge.
In the log there is a lot of change of formations.

I wonder if the AI was having problems because the finishing locations of the Bn would have ended in the water or on the bridge? (the Coy's always overshoot the location of the attack waypoint to ensure the back of the objective is clear)
I don't know how far ahead it thinks, but after the assault there would have been no room for its all round defence formation, it loves to form.

john connor

Thanks Daz. I think at least two of those formation changes will have been occasioned by my re-attaching the line units. For some reason I had thought that if I gave an order to the HQ once it was on the ground, then the line units would automatically attach to their parent (if I just left them alone when they landed) and pick up its orders. But that didn't happen at all. Instead the line units sat around unattached without orders. So I attached them, forcing a re-plan, no doubt. I'm not sure how much any of that is working as intended or not. If I were taking my time with it - as I will next time round - then I would have noticed all the mucking around a lot sooner and rectified it. If I notice them faffing about next run then I could try moving the attack marker back a bit.

Last edited:

john connor

So A coy dropped right on an arty Bn. What did I do?
3.png

Gave an order to the HQ to attack Exit 2. Ignored the enemy unit.

john connor

Time to re-set. Ignoring the enemy unit was a silly error.
I started again:
2.png

This time the 2 nearest units are tasked to deal with the enemy unit.