Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Dark July expansion for July gaming!

Norm

It is the 75th anniversary of Kursk and Operation Citadel. I will spend this month doing themed games around that subject and hopefully this will include the six scenarios from the Dark July module.

The first couple of into posts are up and scenario 1 is on the table at the moment. post 1 is a general intro and post 2 looks at the Dark July map features and discusses by 'read along' book for this month.

post 3 will be an AAR of sorts, with discussion about the scenario itself.

Link
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/july-means-kursk.html

Norm

Next up in the ongoing Kursk Battles (Lock 'n Load Tactical) - the battle for Oktiabrskii State Farm.

For those that know the system, there is a neat special scenario rule that only allows units to enter a fortified building to melee with enemy ..... if the remaining defenders are all shaken. It certainly changes the criteria for taking buildings and impacts significantly on play and game tension.

Link
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/kursk-month-secure-oktiabrskii-state.html

Norm

Thanks, looking ahead at the remaining 3 scenarios, the variance in scenario situations continues with some rather excellent looking games, inclusing a full mapper and the Ponyri battle from the Northern Sector. Also replayability looks good, so I can see me coming back to all these scenarios again.

Thanks for taking the time to post these, champion effort!

My mate and I have been absorbed with North African scenarios recently this weekend we’ll revisit Dark July!

Hey Norm thanks again for all the work You’ve put in getting these AARs together!

Inspired my mate Dave and I are playing scenario three the battle for Oktiabrskii State Farm tonight.

Can I ask you a question regarding the Soviet OOB mine includes three roadblocks I don’t see that in your game. I have the original release of Dark July is yours a later release maybe the details have changed?

Thanks!

Norm

My version is '4th Printing 2016'. I was pretty sure that these were just straight reprints, but maybe not.

For defences, Secure the State farm has 3 wire, 3 mines, 3 trench, but no roadblocks.

The next scenario 'Road to Prokhorovka' does have 3 roadblocks. The only other scenario that has one is 'Clear the Ditches', which must set up in V20.

Okay thanks Norm we have three wire, three mines and three roadblocks...no trenches in my OOB.

Interesting difference; the roadblocks give the same protection as trenches for foot dudes, of course must be on roads but then they’ll hamper Vehicles Movement and block lines of sight!

We’ll play on with the options we have!

Thanks again!

Norm

Played the final scenario from the lock n' load Dark July supplement, which covers the Kursk battles.

This scenario moves to the northern shoulder and the interesting battle of Ponyri. Know to those that fought there as Little Stalingrad, this scenario covers the fight for the School and Tractor Station.

I hope those with Heroes of the Motherland are tempted by this module, the scenarios are very varied and there looks to be good replayability.

Observations and replay notes over at my blog - LINK
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/07/kursk-month-front-porsche.html