Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Dawn's Early Light: Infantry

Dijon

I may be missing something obvious, but it seems that the only time that infantry should lead an attack is if attacking tanks in closed terrain. There does not seem to be a penalty for tanks to attack into closed terrain, and if attacking from open terrain, it would seem foolish to lead with infantry (in case the enemy attacks on their next turn). Can anyone shed any light on this?

rastamann

I'm not sure you're doing it this way, but when you attack any unit in any closed terrain you get a -1 penalty to your combat value; if you're attacking infantry it will inflict defensive fire on a die result of 2, 3, 11 and whatever it's usual roll is (7 for NATO, 4 for WP).

If you lead an attack in open terrain with infantry it won't get any bonus, and that is as it should - infantry in the open should get murdered when attacking, I think, particularly in an operational scale wargame.

Dijon

Thanks for your response. What I'm curious about is why the "Superior Arms" rule doesn't apply in reverse. Currently, attacking infantry, for example in closed terrain subjects the attacker to the same defensive fire, regardless whether it is infantry or tanks attacking. It seems like infantry attacking armour in open terrain, or tanks attacking infantry in closed terrain should incur a penalty. What are your thoughts?