Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Design Your Own Scenarios

HariSeldon

My question is regarding designing my own scenarios. I am well aware that scenario design is an art - you want to get the right balance. I am also aware that WW2 platoon / company formations had a TO&E.

Does the firepower of German squads include an inherent machine gun? I remember all the conversations on the ASL forums regarding this question. It always came down to "design for effect". Scenario balance trumped
historical TO&E's.

If I create a scenario where two soviet companies assault a German grenadier company, should each German squad be given a machine gun counter? If so, the soviet companies will be obliterated. It would be even more uneven if the German company were panzer grenadiers - where each squad has two LMG's.

What do others think? I like playing with actual TO&E's. However, iIf using actual TO&E's results in unbalanced games, does that mean the firepower values of squads and support weapons need to be revised?

Again, just curious what others think.

Barthheart

Staff member
I'd think of the LMG/MMG/HMG counters in the game as Company, or higher, level assets that have been passed down for that particular action. So each squad already has it's machine guns imbedded in the counter. That way you just add 1 or 2 MG34's/MG42's as you think would have been added for the action.

HariSeldon

I think it boils down to the fact that LnL is a game (A GREAT GAME!). It is not a detailed simulation. Support weapons are included in a scenario to get the right balance - not as a function of historical TO&E's Too bad - I guess you can't have it all in a game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and grateful that David and company are continuing this great series. I will continue supporting the system by my purchases.