Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Designer's Comments

Hello, my name is Erik von Rossing and I am the designer of A Wing and a Prayer. I am very excited about the publishing of this game and think that gamers will have a lot of fun playing it.

A Wing and a Prayer was initially published by my company, Berserker Games, as a Print & Play Game called B-17 Bomber Squadron. This was a Solitaire game where the player commanded a squadron of B-17 Bombers stationed in England with the task of destroying the German War Machine.

As the game grew in popularity, after a particularly positive and creative Session Report on Boardgamegeek by Dr. Terry Mays and some improved Counters by Sean Forehand, Mr. David Heath, of Lock & Load Publishing, caught a glimpse of it and contacted me with the interest in possibly publishing it. Of course I was ecstatic about the thought of having one of my game published and we decided to give it a try.

David Heath and the team at Lock & Load were extremely friendly, helpful and professional and we were able to greatly improve the game components and artwork. We, also, developed some new concepts and rules that will make game play very challenging and exciting. Owners of B-17 Bomber Squadron, while familiar with the basic Mission Procedures, will be impressed with the many updates and rules provided in A Wing and a Prayer.

Although, originally designed to be a solitaire game, A Wing and a Prayer features a competitive 2 Player Version where one Player controls the U.S. Bomber Squadron intent of crushing the German Industrial strength and another Player controls the Luftwaffe forces, tasked with inflicting maximum losses on U.S. Bomber Command.

It is my hope that fans of the Air War over Europe during WWII will find as much enjoyment with A Wing and a Prayer as I have had developing it and playing it. I am a big enthusiast in the U.S. Bombing Campaign in Europe and have read many books on the topic. My favorites include "Bomber Crew" by John Comer and "A Wing and a Prayer" by Harry H. Crosby. Both are outstanding personal accounts of B-17 Crews flying missions out of England.

Last edited:

Mike Sundborg

Hello, my name is Erik von Rossing and I am the designer of A Wing and a Prayer. I am very excited about the publishing of this game and think that gamers will have a lot of fun playing it.

A Wing and a Prayer was initially published by my company, Berserker Games, as a Print & Play Game called B-17 Bomber Squadron. This was a Solitaire game where the player commanded a squadron of B-17 Bombers stationed in England with the task of destroying the German War Machine.

As the game grew in popularity, after a particularly positive and creative Session Report on Boardgamegeek by Dr. Terry Mays and some improved Counters by Sean Forehand, Mr. David Heath, of Lock & Load Publishing, caught a glimpse of it and contacted me with the interest in possibly publishing it. Of course I was ecstatic about the thought of having one of my game published and we decided to give it a try.

David Heath and the team at Lock & Load were extremely friendly, helpful and professional and we were able to greatly improve the game components and artwork. We, also, developed some new concepts and rules that will make game play very challenging and exciting. Owners of B-17 Bomber Squadron, while familiar with the basic Mission Procedures, will be impressed with the many updates and rules provided in A Wing and a Prayer.

Although, originally designed to be a solitaire game, A Wing and a Prayer features a competitive 2 Player Version where one Player controls the U.S. Bomber Squadron intent of crushing the German Industrial strength and another Player controls the Luftwaffe forces, tasked with inflicting maximum losses on U.S. Bomber Command.

It is my hope that fans of the Air War over Europe during WWII will find as much enjoyment with A Wing and a Prayer as I have had developing it and playing it. I am a big enthusiast in the U.S. Bombing Campaign in Europe and have read many books on the topic. My favorites include "Bomber Crew" by John Comer and "A Wing and a Prayer" by Harry H. Crosby. Both are outstanding personal accounts of B-17 Crews flying missions out of England.
Are the bombers going to be named as with the PnP?
Mike

The Game is designed for both Solitaire and two Player. When playing Solitaire, you play as the U.S.
Thanks! I'd actually just decided to purchase this game and freaked when it wasn't on the Beserker website. I'm happy to see it was put in a greener pasture rather than being sent to the glue factory. ;-)

Tony M

Could anyone provide additional information on rules differences between the PnP version of the game and the LnL version?

Could anyone provide additional information on rules differences between the PnP version of the game and the LnL version?

Hello, Tony.

There are quite a few differences between the original P&P rules and the L&L Version. The basic Mission resolution system is relatively the same and owners of the original will not have a big learning curve to understand the new version. We tried to make the new version more robust and historically themed. Many of the specific rules and events tables have been modified. There are two Combat Options the Player can choose from. There are rules for a two player game. The L&L version takes into account more historical elements for Campaigns including an updated Campaign Events Table. Players can select various Campaign Lengths based on the Historic Time-Line of the 8th Air Force in England.

Tony M

Thanks, Erik! Would it be possible to post here or on BGG a few pages of the rules? I don't own the PnP version of this game, but I did download the flowchart.

I pre-ordered "A Wing and A Prayer" because I've always wanted a *playable* solitaire bombing campaign game and this might be it...finally! But there is, surprisingly, not much discussion about this game anywhere beyond a few details and a number of inquiries about the release date. And there is not much discussion about the PnP version except for a few enthusiastic comments on BGG.

Any new information to whet our appetite between now and late May [I *really* hope it is out by then!] would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erik! Would it be possible to post here or on BGG a few pages of the rules? I don't own the PnP version of this game, but I did download the flowchart.

I pre-ordered "A Wing and A Prayer" because I've always wanted a *playable* solitaire bombing campaign game and this might be it...finally! But there is, surprisingly, not much discussion about this game anywhere beyond a few details and a number of inquiries about the release date. And there is not much discussion about the PnP version except for a few enthusiastic comments on BGG.

Any new information to whet our appetite between now and late May [I *really* hope it is out by then!] would be appreciated.

I know David Heath plans to post the entire Rules eventually, but, when that occurs is up to him. Like you, I always wanted a "Playable" solitaire Bombing Campaign Game. I own B-17: Queen of the Skies and liked many elements of that game, however, I felt I needed something more. I have read many books on the subject (my favorites being "A Wing and a Prayer" by Harry S. Crosby and "Combat Crew" by John Comer) and one of my favorite movies is "12 O'Clock High" starring Gregory Peck. I wanted to design a Game that captured the feeling of being a B-17 Bomber Squadron Commander, as well as, leading a Squadron of B-17s flying in a Box Formation during Combat Missions. That was my goal in designing "A Wing and a Prayer: Bombing the Reich".