Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Direct Fire & Ordnance on M1 Abrams/M2

docsmann

The M1/M2 & M3 have Direct Fire and ordnance fire in the game. What is considered direct fire and what is considered ordnance on the M1? The M1 only has the 105mm main gun and M240C 7.62mm coax machinegun.
What is considered direct fire and what is considered ordnance on the M2/M3? They both fire the 25mm cannon as their main gun with the TOW being secondary. Then to engage troops, they have the M240C 7.62mm coax machinegun.
In addition, the M1/M2/M3 all have the capability to fire High Explosive and Armor piercing ammo through their main gun.
Can you please clarify this for me? Thank you and it's very appreciated.

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Forget about reality and focus on what is on the counter. Direct fire for vehicle is MG and use the Direct Fire Table (DFT). Ordnance is all the rest and use the ordnance Fire Table (OFT).

On the M1, the Direct fire comes from the 4* FP MG and the 2 FP MG; you can fire both in the same impulse. Odnance comes from the main gun, and its to-hit table is on the back of the counter.

On the M2 and M3, direct fire comes from the 2 FP MG. Ordnance come from either the main gun (black numbers on the to-hit table) or the ATGM (red numbers on the to-hit table). If you fire the main gun, you can do so twice in one impulse. If you fire the ATGM, you can only do it once in one impulse. Note that you can't, in the same turn, fire both ordnance weapons.

Does this answer your question?

Reactions: Zac

docsmann

Stephane, your explanation makes perfect sense. But having spent six years in the U.S. Cavalry makes it hard for me to look at things from anything other than real life. My wife won't even watch a war movie with me.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Oh I fully understand but you risk disapointement if you don't look at the game with gamer's eyes :)