Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Dismounting Mech/Mot Infantry

CQMS

I played this way back when it was AA:HTTR, and after many years away decided to pick it up again. Now I am enjoying re-discovering what a crappy general I am!

But in playing the tutorial and the first small HTTR scenario, I would like to be able to have my mech inf guys dismount and chase enemy into woodlines, or leave their APCs behind as an overwatch unit while advancing across polder, or whatever.

I could get into a whole discussion around how various combatants of the period actually used their Trucks, APCs and halftracks, but I'm sure it's been talked about.

I am also aware that this is something that has been brought up before, so I guess my question is - how's it going?

john connor

+1 on this query. I too would like to know from DAVE, or IONCORE - how's it going, the plan to introduce dismount code?

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
It's all up to Dave to decide. But - sorry for not sharing your optimism - I'm personally against adding any major features now.
In my opinion what game needs right now is:
- new content (aka more sales);
- major refactoring of the engine, so that core, networking code and GUI could be decoupled
After that we could start discussing new features and their priorities.

GoodGuy

Wishful thinking here, and the feature has been discussed extensively in the past already, but I'd still like to add an idea:

A dismount feature - coupled with 1) the actual rendering/spawning of transport elements (say as independent units called "transport columns") - would allow to perform deliberate attacks on transport or supply elements, and would allow to employ a whole new set of tactical/strategical options.

With such feature you could effectively create EF scenarios with partisan units cutting off supply lines, destroying/damaging trucks or armored transports (halftracks), blowing up bridges and creating liberated areas behind the front lines. If I am not mistaken, the partisan force in Ukraine alone had risen to 140,000 men (who operated behind German lines) at one point, and the total Russian partisan force comprised of more than 250,000 men.

2) The Germans used their standardized armored trains to protect railroad supply lines in Russia, Poland, Ukraine, France and Yugoslavia, etc. They were used to give fire support during anti-partisan missions in the immediate vicinty of railroad lines and to perform patrols, but they also provided medium and long range arty support for anti-partisan units that chased partisan units through woods and marshes.
If such assets could be added and their movement be restricted to railroad lines, even railway guns could be rendered. (/dream mode off)

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
Imho railroad movement is probably the easiest feature to implement from technical point of view. I was considering this for the future EF release (as Far Eastern DLC theater has no railroads, it is out of scope at the moment).

JArraya

Wishful thinking here, and the feature has been discussed extensively in the past already, but I'd still like to add an idea:

A dismount feature - coupled with 1) the actual rendering/spawning of transport elements (say as independent units called "transport columns") - would allow to perform deliberate attacks on transport or supply elements, and would allow to employ a whole new set of tactical/strategical options.

With such feature you could effectively create EF scenarios with partisan units cutting off supply lines, destroying/damaging trucks or armored transports (halftracks), blowing up bridges and creating liberated areas behind the front lines. If I am not mistaken, the partisan force in Ukraine alone had risen to 140,000 men (who operated behind German lines) at one point, and the total Russian partisan force comprised of more than 250,000 men.

2) The Germans used their standardized armored trains to protect railroad supply lines in Russia, Poland, Ukraine, France and Yugoslavia, etc. They were used to give fire support during anti-partisan missions in the immediate vicinty of railroad lines and to perform patrols, but they also provided medium and long range arty support for anti-partisan units that chased partisan units through woods and marshes.
If such assets could be added and their movement be restricted to railroad lines, even railway guns could be rendered. (/dream mode off)
Absolutely a necessary feature.