Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Do not understand AI execution of Regiment Order

Keydet

Gave a regiment an attack order, formation left echelon, shortest route. Battalions are already in position. AI has the battalions circle back switching places and then begin. There should be an option form up in-situ. Only work around is to give battalion orders. That would be a false load on the map boss.
Left Echelon Regiiment AttackWeb.JPG

Reactions: Fox

Fox

I've noticed this aswell. Can cause havoc if you try and attack with large formations (whole regiments brigades, divisions); If I try and have the attack occur by a certain H hour the AI will often miss the deadline by reorganizing the attack multiple times and shuffling the units under its command from one flank to the other.

simovitch

It works a lot better in open terrain and you have enough depth to set a "forming up point" (FUP) a few kilometers back from the objective. On some maps, these conditions can be difficult to obtain.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
There is a good reason why doctrines set out minimum sizes and spacing for FUPs. The FUP is the place where the force deploys into the right assault formation and everyone gets into their right positions. In RL, if a force is already engaged with an enemy then it is said to be 'fixed' and a commander will usually leave the fixed force where it is and flank with another part of his force. If you end up with all your force close to the enemy and fixed, then you have failed to maintain an adequate reserve. It's an easy trap to fall into. You need to resist the urge to commit all your force and if you must commit your reserve, then create another by pulling some of the engaged forces out of the front and redeploying them in reserve.

If we were to provide an inSitu attack option, then we would need to also apply a significant penalty on the assaulting forces' cohesion, because they would not be attacking from a properly organised layout. It would need to be serious enough to discourage its regular use.

There is a good reason why doctrines set out minimum sizes and spacing for FUPs. The FUP is the place where the force deploys into the right assault formation and everyone gets into their right positions. In RL, if a force is already engaged with an enemy then it is said to be 'fixed' and a commander will usually leave the fixed force where it is and flank with another part of his force. If you end up with all your force close to the enemy and fixed, then you have failed to maintain an adequate reserve. It's an easy trap to fall into. You need to resist the urge to commit all your force and if you must commit your reserve, then create another by pulling some of the engaged forces out of the front and redeploying them in reserve.

If we were to provide an inSitu attack option, then we would need to also apply a significant penalty on the assaulting forces' cohesion, because they would not be attacking from a properly organised layout. It would need to be serious enough to discourage its regular use.
Dave,

Could you do a overview of what the AI does to form up a regiment for an attack?

If I order an attack at a distance from the objective, I see the movement to the form up point, and then watch as battalions cross paths to realign for the attack. I let it go because I ordered my "regiment staff" to handle the matter, but don't understand the logic to moving battalions across the face of the front before moving forward.

Basically, I'd be interested in what force / unit attributes or combat situations drive the change in positions.

If, nothing else, it helps when building new scenarios where combat units are deployed for actions at start. The attributes that affect the deployment could be adjusted so the action starts without a reorg delay.

Keydet

...If we were to provide an inSitu attack option, then we would need to also apply a significant penalty on the assaulting forces' cohesion, because they would not be attacking from a properly organised layout. It would need to be serious enough to discourage its regular use.

The example is at start of a scenario. The regiment has already formed up prior to start of the scenario. Therefore cohesion is high.