Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Does clear halfway hex cast shadow?

Stefano G.

Hello everyone...:)
i have just a little question about LOS.

According to 10.3 Figuring Line of Sight

"Units on a hex higher in elevation than the total height of a blocking/degrading-terrain hex can see and fire over it into hexes at a lower elevation than the total height of said blocking or degrading terrain hex.
Furthermore, since the LOS in this situation is traced OVER the blocking/degrading terrain, it is not blocked/degraded in any way. However, Level-1 and -2 blocking/degrading terrain casts a one-hex shadow that blocks LOS to units located directly behind them.
"

well...here is my doubt/question:
if the halfway hex has not blocking/degrading terrain (e.g. a level 1 clear hex) does it cast shadow even so ?

for example: firing unit is on 2-level hex and its target is on 0-level hex, between them there is a clear 1-level hex...does it cast shadow? :rolleyes:
I do suppose that such halfway clear hex does NOT cast any shadow (as rule states), but having had some doubts in recent game session, i would like to have a confirmation...

Last edited:

Qwirz

Stefano!
According to 10.3 "Level 1 and Level 2 blocking/degrading terrain casts a one hex shadow that blocks LOS to units located directly behind them".
1 and 2 level Hills are blocking terrain just as 1 and 2 level building.
I think they cast the shadow....

Stefano G.

Stefano!
According to 10.3 "Level 1 and Level 2 blocking/degrading terrain casts a one hex shadow that blocks LOS to units located directly behind them".
1 and 2 level Hills are blocking terrain just as 1 and 2 level building.
I think they cast the shadow....

Hello Ruben...
it's a debatable point:
1 and 2 level Hills are blocking/degrading if the terrain on these hexes is blocking/degrading (as is writen in TEC)

...i.e. a 1 level hex with Forest terrain is blocking but the same 1 level hex with light wood on it is only degrading...so if it was a clear 1 level hex (let's think Open or Road 1 level hex) it shoud not cast any shadow...what do you think about?:)

Jeff Lewis

We're talking about elevation here. Clear does not have elevation other than the hex it is in. A Clear Level-1 Hill does cast a shadow if the hex behind it is ground level. So let's say H1 and H2 are Level-1 Clear and H3 is Ground-level Clear. H1 does not have LOS to H3 and vice-versa. H2 has LOS to both.

If H1 and H3 are Ground-level Clear and H2 is Level-1 Clear, H1 and H3 do not have LOS to each other b/c of the Level-1 Hill in H2 blocking it. So a Hill w/o another blocking/degrading terrain on it can be blocking terrain. It's about elevation.