Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

[DoH] Somali stacking limits

Rekka

In the Day of Heroes module rulebook, regarding the Somali units stacking it says :
- 2 MMCs without a leader
- 3 MMCs and 2 SMCs with a leader

What are the Somalis SMC? I just see leaders counters as SMC but is that it? Regarding the MMCs, does a half-squad count as one MMCs or does it take 2 half-squads? Again, in the module rulebook I understood that squad or half-squad are both MMCs but in the 4.0 rules, it says that 2 half-squads is equivalent to a squad and you are limited to 3 squads in a hex so I am a little confused.

Thanks for your help! :)

Rekka,

Good question. Maybe it should read like the Stacking rule were I says (or their equivalent).

We should wait for the rules master Jeff Lewis to weigh in.

Mike

Qwirz

First edition DoH has its own rules on some matters. Stacking is one of these.
Somali SMC are just the leaders you see (they don't spawn heroes).
For stacking purposes 1 MMC is either a "squad" or a "Half-squad", but this definitions here are useless since Somali are not military organized.
They don't shake and just reduce or are eliminated.
Just apply the stacking rule as you read it.
It works.
I don't know if this will be changed in next edition.

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

In v4.1 (and v4.0) it's:
"Each side can have up to three Squads (or their equivalent), two vehicles, and two SMCs in a hex."

I've updated the mod rules for the re-release of DoH and it, too, has Squads instead of MMCs as the text. And amended the paragraph about it being two MMCs (Squads or Half-squads) w/o a Leader so it is explicit that it's two Squads or equivalent. (Currently it is a Squad and a Half-squad count as the two MMCs.)

The Somalis only have Leaders as SMCs so they can have two in a hex--I mean, square.

Last edited:

Rekka

In v4.1 (and v4.0) it's:
"Each side can have up to three Squads (or their equivalent), two vehicles, and two SMCs in a hex."

I've updated the mod rules for the re-release of DoH and it, too, has Squads instead of MMCs as the text. And amended the paragraph about it being two MMCs (Squads or Half-squads) w/o a Leader so it is explicit that it's two Squads or equivalent. (Currently it is a Squad and a Half-squad count as the two MMCs.)

The Somalis only have Leaders as SMCs so they can have two in a hex--I mean, square.
Thanks Jeff. So w/o a Leader you can have 4 half-squads in a square for a good +3 bonus when firing as a group. Good to know. :)

Qwirz

I think applying standard stacking rules to Somali could make them a bit powerful: You can have a 1LM leader with 6 HSs shooting at 6 FP!!! Same as a stack of three 3FP America (3+1.5+1.5=6)!!! The Module rule was made to balance the Somali FP stack to an average 2.
Consider that they don't shake and the Americans can't run out of a building anymore.

Rekka

Well, only 1 FP without a Leader, which is the "standard" case as there aren't many Somali leaders, seems really weak if the US manage to stay in cover. Sure you can go in an adjacent hex to get the +2 bonus when firing at an adjacent target but this is quite risky with OP and you have to survive the entire round and gain initiative if you don't want to be wiped out before having a chance to fire.

But on the other hand, you may be right about the 6 FP.

Qwirz

Yes. Somali strength is not quite FP! A standard stack should include a 1FP squad, a 0 Squad or HS and a SW. So 2 FP attack plus a SW, trying to catch US moving in open. better could be "frighten" US advances with growing number of units and mobs (roadblock generation); sacrifice some units to opp fire to allow others to try to enter not too disadvantageous melees; create confusion; unpredictability. I don't think I'm a master in tactics. This is what I think could work having some games under the belt. ;)

Jeff Lewis

Lead 0-FP adds 0 to the attack.

From the rule: "Each additional Somali MMC (not Mob) firing from a square adds one (1) to the Firepower (FP) of the attack. Hence, three 0-2-4 Half-squads firing from a square has a FP of 2 (0 for the first unit and one for every unit thereafter)."

And the chance of having 6 Half-squads together is pretty much not going to happen (I've played a TON of LnLT and it's never happened. Ever. And if in DoH someone did do that just to do it, your Range is 2. The Rangers can just go around you or blow you away from a greater range.

I was trying to keep it simple and avoid questions such as those posed yesterday, but if you don't like the change I'll change it back. No problem.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
It's not that I don't like the change, it's just that I think it is not necessary, as the original was pretty clear to me

Rekka

I prefer with the changes made by Jeff. It's more streamlined with the global rulebook and I find it clearer but it's up to you. And a 6-stack of Somali half-squads with a leader is quite powerful indeed but it also make a perfect target for the marines as they tend to have longer range than the Somalis.

Qwirz

I really like the streamlining process but "module rules" still can add variety and spices to the various games.
Nationalities with different capabilities are fun to play and make the LnL games different. IMHO this is an awesome thing!!!